Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!

Last night, Mark and I were talking, and I realize that my children are probably some of the few (if not the only) children who are woken up by their mother on Christmas morning. I can't sleep on Christmas eve (it was 3 am before I finally fell asleep last night). And I wake up ready and excited for Christmas morning at 5:30... I make myself stay in bed until at least 6-- and have since I was a child (lol). So every year, my boys have been woken up by me-- until this year. Mark said to me last night, "Wasn't part of the fun of Christmas morning waking up your parents? It's supposed to be your boys who wake you up."

So this morning, when I woke up at 5:30, I rolled back over. And when I woke up at 6, I thought, "The kids aren't up yet." And rolled back over. At 7, I couldn't believe neither of my kids were awake-- as they're normally up at that time on a -regular- day! And my oldest woke me up at 8:45, wanting to know if he could go watch his shows (lol) (; I asked him to go get dressed, while I got up, woke Mark up, got dressed-- and then woke up his little brother.

Turns out, after always being woken up by Momma on Christmas morning-- my boys -expect- to be woken up (lol) (;

Santa brought my oldest the video game he asked for, and for my youngest, the transformer. And both of them had legos on their wish list, so they got more to share.

Last year, I'd come across a poem that I really liked, that I've since tried to incorporate into our Christmas. It goes like this: Something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read. It keeps the total number of presents to a small number, and in this economy, that's definitely a good thing!

So for my oldest, he got a bakugan and the presents from Santa, his own room (the boys have had to share a room for the last 3 1/2 years), new pajama pants, and several books that he's been asking about for the last couple of months. He also got three special presents. From his Daddy, his first swiss army knife-- that he's only allowed to use with supervision. And from me-- his own drawing pad and first set of artist pencils and charcoal (as he's shown talent and interest in art (Woo-hoo!!)), and a nice leather bound journal.

For my youngest, he got playdough and the presents from Santa, his own room; he asked, very specifically for footy pajamas, that I was fortunate enough to find at Sears in his size, thanks to my Facebook friends, and several books of his own that I'll be reading at least one of tonight before he goes to sleep ((: His special presents were from his Grandma Judy-- his own toy guns (as all the guns he'd previously gotten to play with belong to his brother, and therefore went to his brother's room when they separated)-- both a cap gun and a nerf gun.

For Mark, I gave him a new computer chair-- that we've ALL decided is comfortable enough to go to sleep in (lol), a couple of books I think he'll enjoy, and come New Year's we're signing him up for a gym membership at the local gym (This is something he actually -wants-). We're considering whether or not we're going to get him a Play Station. And his mom got him new clothes (:

For the critters, Peeve (the cat) got a new brush-- he doesn't play with toys, doesn't use a scratching post, can't have catnip, and doesn't like wet cat food. (lol) He's the hardest member of our family to shop for, but the cat LOVES to be brushed (: For the puppy dogs-- All three got new beds and dog chewies/ treats. Maggie got soft dog toys (which is what she prefers). Isabeau got 1 soft dog toy, and 4 tennis balls. Ruby got the same as Isabeau-- with the addition of a name/ address tag (: I call it their 'jewelry' (:

And I'm greatly enjoying the gifts my guys gave me: A new CD player-- with plenty of new CDs to play in it! And my very own 6 qt. crock pot!! Woo-hoo!!! I've wanted a crock pot since I was 18! I also got a couple of books on slow cooking (:

While listening to some of my new Christmas music, on my new music player, I perused my new books, learned a lot about slow cookers, and realized I could make my first meal TODAY!

So for dinner, we had Mediterranean pork loin with milk sauce, with side dishes made seperately, including rice, corn, and broccoli with cheese. The meat was so tender, it practically fell apart. And it tasted good! (: My crock pot passed on it's maiden voyage!

And in an hour, I'm going to use it again.

One of the first things I came across in my new cookbook was an entire section on Porridge and cereals!

So tonight, breakfast is going to cook--for 9 hours. As long as it goes as it should, we'll be having Apple Barley Molasses Porridge in the morning!

I'm excited (: And should probably mention that, in both instances, I'm not actually following recipes (lol) Just using them as guidelines (; I think, if it works, breakfast is going to be delicious!

And tomorrow morning, bright and early, we're headed out for the day after Christmas shopping specials. Hoping to get LED Christmas lights at half price (:

Outside of the food and the presents, we've had a wonderful time-- dancing to the music, sitting together to watch shows, all sitting on the floor playing with legos, and visiting with my in-laws for the holidays, and two of my sister-in-law's children.

All in all, this has been a relaxed, wonderful Christmas. And I wish the same for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!