Tuesday, June 15, 2010

About Change...

Friday, April 17, 2009

Current mood: thoughtful

So the other day, while my friend Jeanie and I were driving back home from a day with the kids, I commented that one of the things I really like about Obama is that he's pushing for change and people taking the incentive to be the change themselves. I said that one of the things I admire most is that, having a strong president speak up about things-- like a greener world for example, sets the stage to inspire others to follow suit.

Well, I notice yesterday, and again today, that it really IS making a difference.

Venice, who has been swamped by algae for practically ever, plans to use that same nusance for biofuel as a main power source by 2011. http://ecoworldly.com/2009/03/27/algae-a-new-fuel-for-the-venice-seaport/

And as I walked through the doors of my local Wal-Mart, here in little ole Ozark, the first thing that greeted me was a front door display set up of Go Green-- with a plethora of earth friendly products and commercials on the television about how not only Wal-Mart is committing to work towards a Greener Earth, but with tips on how consumers can do likewise.

Now, I'm sure you've noticed, if you ever go into a Wal-Mart, especially if you've gone in one in the last year, that they sell canvasesque bags that you can use instead of plastic. I've been using mine since last summer. Well, as we were checking out yesterday, they've done something different, and something I -completely- agree with-- they're now offering them at the registers-- 1 spoke, where the plastic bags are, is covered, instead, with the $1 black reusuable fabric bags.

And this morning, I read about a number of universities, in a time when it seems like higher education is yet another victim of the economy, not only getting large anonymous donations-- but getting donations that are TRULY anonymous, and required to be so. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090416/ap_on_re_us/mystery_gifts;_ylt=Ahab4l_2JNJllWl62ck6.2cazJV4

So I leave you with some fitting quotes to ponder:

"If you want to have change, of course, the bottom line is that the folk for whom the change is meant must be involved in it." --Dorothy Cotton, civil rights activist; Southern Exposure, Vol. X, No. 5, Sept/Oct, 1982, p. 27

"If people think one person can't make a difference, they're wrong. I have found that out. One person can change lots of things. First it's one and then it's one more that joins them and then another one and then you can change things."--Lynda Gwaltney, founder, Agent Orange Victims of Atlanta, Atlanta, GA;Southern Exposure, Vol. X, No. 2, March/April, 1982, p. 52





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!