Sunday, June 6, 2010

Art Blogging

So Mark and I were looking at the latest images of art work that I've posted to facebook, and he looked at me and asked if I had ever thought of doing a blog, so that I could share them with more than my friends.

That was when I remembered, "Yes! Yes I do!" So I'm going to go through my artwork and start sharing them here.

I'll start with my latest piece and work my way back.

That said, this is my second stone vessel. My friend Erica had seen the first one I made, and asked if I was interested in selling it. I told her that I would make one specifically for her, if she would like. I originally thought to try to reproduce the first one, but then I decided to see what was in the new stone I chose, and she and I both thought it was an interesting and exciting idea.

So I got a couple of pieces of soapstone from school on the last day of class in May. It took me a couple of days to decide which of the pieces I was going to use.

I knew which one I was going to work on when I started to dream about it. I dreamed about it for four days, working out how I was going to shape it, how much I was going to work it, and how much of the stone I was going to leave 'natural'.

I realized, as I ground the basic shape and the indention of the bowl, that it was coming along just as I'd hoped (: Have to admit, VERY pleased with the end results!


I realized as I worked the piece that I'm a fan of dichotomy in my work. In this instance, it's the natural untouched portions of the stone, like the image above, versus the ground and sanded portions that I worked on. I prefer not to leave obvious marks that say the stone was manipulated by a person. I like leaving it as though it just -might- have formed that way in nature (even though it didn't) (:


As I worked the bowl, I was pleased to find the fissure that curves through the center and up the side.



This above is my absolute FAVORITE view of the piece! In person, the stone almost looks like wood, with wood grain. And the natural variety of color in the stone is breathtakingly beautiful!


See how the side looks wavy? It's actually smooth and flat!



Detail on the 'woodgrain' looking side, and the lovely combination of colors that were in the stone. The funny thing is that when you're working soapstone, it's covered in a thin layer of stone dust, and it's lighter than the finished piece will be after you clean it and spray it with a clear coat to protect the stone. You don't get to see the lovely colors until you're finished with the piece.



The above is a detail of the bowl I ground into the vessel.









Some of the natural shadows that help show the almost crescent moon shape of the piece.


And I signed the piece when I was finished with it (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!