Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Camouflage in the urban jungle

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Camouflage in the urban jungle

Current mood: amused

Spot is my stripped tabby. Not a spot on her body. I've actually wanted her since I was about 10 years old-- stripped cat named Spot (: And got to get her when I was 18.

When I first got her and her brother, for all intensive purposes, they were identical. I could identify them by touch after 3 days because Peeve has a harmless bone spur on the back of his head, that feels kind of like running your hand over someone's knuckle when you pet him. But when I'd had them for 3 months, I got them spayed, and after that, anyone really looking at them could tell them apart--as spaying changed Spot's body, and she has forever since looked like she has just had kittens, though she never has.

Of course, over the years, I've noticed Peeve is much more gray, while Spot has streaks of orange. And that Peeve's eyes are yellow where Spots are green.

Well, the other day, I changed my bedding. Pulled out the winter Korean mink blankets. The one on our bed is grassland yellow, with a brown and black cheetah on it. And I noticed today, as my Spot cat was taking her nap on it that she SERIOUSLY did NOT blend into that blanket -at all-. In fact, she stood out against it.... but this same cat has learned to STOP laying on the blue and beige oriental throw rug infront of the kitchen sink because you can't see her on it. She blends into it completely. You have to be LOOKING for the eyes to even know she's there or you're going to step on her. I've stepped on her well over a dozen times at the sink in the 2 years we've been here.

And as we speak, if you're not paying attention, you won't notice Peeve curled up with the multiple shades of brown pillow and the gray blue white blanket on the couch. You just kind of presume he's another pillow or part of the blanket. My kids periodically sit on the cats not realizing they're on the couch.

And both of them together can vanish into the seating of Grandmother's chair. It's brown and beige and a little bit red, with a very small snake skin like zig-zag pattern on it. When they curl up together on it, they just look like the cushion.

And it made me realize today that my kitties are urban jungle camouflaged!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!