Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Do Something Unusual Tomorrow"

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Current mood: happy
Category: Life

So on Saturday, my father in law offered to buy dinner from the Great Wall Chinese Restuarant that's around the corner. I'd just fed everyone dinner, so I asked if we could do it on Sunday, and he said that would be fine.

Dinner on Sunday, I had General Tso's Chicken, my boys had Sesame Chicken (all 3 of us with white rice), Mark and Grandmother had Beef and Broccoli with fried rice, and Dad had Sweet and Sour Pork with white rice.

Since everyone ate so well, we all got to have dessert (: Fortune cookies!

Now, I don't know if it's just me being superstitious or what, but I always crack my cookie and read the fortune before I eat it. If I don't like what it says, I don't eat the cookie. For me, eating the cookie accepts the fortune (;

And the fortune I got was different from any I've ever had before. (lol) No
"You find beauty in ordinary things, do not lose this ability." Or "A pleasant surprise is in store for you." Or "Your many hidden talents will become obvious to those around you." Which is usually how my fortune cookies run. This one was oddly specific and kind of fun (: "Do Something Unusual Tomorrow."

So yesterday (; I did. I got up almost an hour early to shave. (I tend towards furry wha-beast in winter.) Had breakfast with my oldest son-- we both had Fruity Pebbles, where normally, I make him breakfast and I wait until 9 or so before snagging something to eat. Walked him out to the bus instead of waiting for him down at the house while he walked up to it.

And when my youngest got up at 7, we stayed up, headed outside to water the plants that need it more frequently than the rest then went for a walk around the block, followed up by playing outside in the backyard before coming in and fixing him breakfast.

When my boys got home, got them ready for their Dentist appointment, and both of them did SO well! No cavities. Obviously brushing (: And they behaved very well while they were being cleaned and while one waited for the other to be done.

Then I did something I haven't done in 13 years. I set up an appointment for tomorrow for MYSELF at the dentist's. The last time I was to a dentist, I was 18 and my mother made me. But I know my teeth are in need of it, and it's a little hard to convince my boys that they have to take care of their teeth and get regularly clean-ups every 6 months when Mommy doesn't. Besides. We have insurance for it now that will cover 2 cleanings a year. Seems foolish to waste it.

When we got home, Mark had started his first day of Spring Break, so he was home when we got there (: Yet another 'something unusual' to add to the list (;

And I decided that, because the weather was so lovely, I wanted to use the grill. So I dashed off to Wal-Mart for cheap steak, corn on the cob, hot dogs for the kids, and some of the other grocieries we were in need of. Grilled the corn in the husks (: Pulled it back to remove the silk, then I buttered and salted the ears. Turned out -delicious-. Then I got them out on the grill to start and seasoned the steaks-- followed Mark's 'recipe': garlic powder, onion powder, Montreal Steak seasoning, and onion flakes. Then you press it into the meat. Also made baked potatoes in the oven, and sauteed mushrooms and onions on the stove (:

Very good meal!! Had a GREAT unusual day, if I do say so (;

Figured I'd keep it up, as Annie would say, "Tomorrow is always a day away!"

So this morning, I mowed the back yard (We're supposed to be getting about a week of rain starting tomorrow and that grass would be IMPOSSIBLE to mow afterwards if it wasn't trimmed today!) Been playing with my youngest and catching back up on house chores. This afternoon, hoping to stay and WATCH my oldest when he goes to Karate instead of just dropping him off.

Realized some of these 'unusuals' could get to be usual if I do them often enough (: And I think I -like- that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!