Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The end of MySpace for Me

Okay, so I haven't been on MySpace in -forever-. To be honest, the only reason I'd kept my account as long as I have is that it was good for blogging. But this site is better.

So what I'm going to do, before I delete my MySpace account, is copy my old blogs here.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009



(Okay, I haven't actually been tested, but I'm -pretty- sure that's an accurate statement.)

When I was 16, I went in to donate blood for the first time, to be told I was too young.

I was all excited when I was 17 and presented with the next opportunity-- only to find out I was underweight.

The third time I went to give blood, I was pregnant with my oldest.

I was really excited when they repeated the drive the next year....only to be turned away because I was nursing.

The next time, I was pregnant again, so I didn't even bother to go in.

So yesterday, I saw that Troy University was going to be doing a blood drive today.

GREAT advertising:






So I went into school early today to print out an article for class, and realized I had plenty of time to give blood-- and NONE of the reasons I couldn't in the past!

Old enough. Large enough. Healthy. NOT pregnant NOR nursing!

I was -stoked-!

So I'm in there reading the booklet, and I come across the section that pertains to me and this blog.

"You are not eligible to donate if:

You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames
  • From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany"

....and we lived in
Heidelberg from 1984 to 1989.

I'm digesting this piece of information as my number was called-- So I raise my hand, said, "That's me....but I think I just became ineligible...."

So she sat down beside me, and explained that it's an FDA ruling related to Mad Cow Disease, and they have no way to test for it in blood donations.

(Sigh).

I'm taking this as the final sign that I'm simply not meant to donate blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!