Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Moral musing

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Current mood: thoughtful
I'd just started a survey from my friend Ed, and one of the questions on it was "Do you believe that there are certain circumstances where cheating is okay?" And my answer was: Okay? no. Understandable... maybe. Desperation will do many things.

And it reminded me of a conversation my oldest and I had last night as I was taking him to Karate.

He was asking me about the difference between good people and bad people, and about when good people become bad people. He used for example a movie where a good person was brainwashed, via a magic potion, into doing bad things.

And we talked about how sometimes, good people make bad choices-- or they do things the 'easy' way because doing it right is harder. And how a lot of bad people didn't actually start out that way-- they started out thinking what they were doing was right, and got lost along the way. Or how circumstances didn't really give them much of a choice.

We also talked about how hard times bring out the worst in people. That it's easy to be good when things are easy. And how much harder it is to -stay- good when things become tough.

That's why I try to teach them that it's important to do the right thing, simply because it's the right thing to do. Not because you want to use it as a ticket into heaven. Not because you want to use it as pass to get out of hell. Not because you want other people to talk about how great you are for doing it. But to do it because it's right, even if it's harder.

I'm not perfect. I don't always succeed. But I try. And can only hope that more often than not, I'm making the right choices. And helping to set an example my boys can follow.

So that when they have the choice to put that survey question into practice-- They'll chose not to cheat, even if it's easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!