Wednesday, June 16, 2010

SCA and playing the game

Friday, October 19, 2007

Current mood: contemplative

So tomorrow is Panhandle Skirmish. Two weeks ago, I said we'd go. And because of real life circumstances, we won't be going. I realized this morning that I've been beating myself up because I gave my word that we'd be there, and no matter how I twist it, turn it, try to finagle it, it just isn't going to happen. So I began thinking about it. Really thinking about it...

I recently read an email that stated if you don't have 5 bucks you shouldn't be playing. And I read an email about authenticity mavens. And I thought about an email I sent to a friend of mine...

See, what I'm thinking is this-- there are things you can do, NOW, that don't cost a cent so that later, when you do have the money, you're play will be even more authentic, even more fun, if you just put the time into them....

And that we're the Society for Creative -Anachronists-.... not re-enactors. We all play like we're gently born...there are no peasants... we play with "fake" weapons because we don't actually want to kill our friends, and even though I intend to have period-ish wooden chairs.... I still want my mug holder, cause damn it, it's just REALLY convenient.

And my second to last thought on this is, as I told my friend recently, real life trumps the game, every time. And this applies to me. That's the marvel of it! It's not just something to say to someone else to make them feel better. It's -actually- true. And in some instances, like mine right now, real life trumps the game whether I want it to or not. And realizing that, I can finally begin to accept it.

My last thought on it is that, as long as you make an effort, no one, NO ONE, has the right to tell you you're aren't playing well enough. Be it for financial reasons, real life circumstances, or your own interest in how far YOU want to play-- YOU are the only judge for how much you do, no one else. And the same goes for me. I have no right to tell anyone else how to play.... nor does anyone else have the right to tell me I'm not up to their standard. Somewhere along the line, they too have an authenticity maven who they don't need to pay attention to in order to enjoy this game we play called the SCA.

Now, back to my completely free embroidery and sewing (wink)...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!