Friday, June 11, 2010

Soft Sculpture

So tonight, my boys and I rented "Alice in Wonderland".

It's funny, summer has started, but when I mention we're going to go to the movie gallery, both of my boys can tell you that means it's Friday and we're having Pizza for dinner (;

I had my misgivings about the new Johnny Depp Alice in Wonderland. To be honest, I'd hated what they did with the Chocolate Factory. But my boys wanted to see it, so I figured we'd give it a go.

I'm still at a loss as to why the queen and the hatter have speech impediments, but other than that, I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. They did their research and the visuals immediately reminded me of what it must have been like the first time audiences watched "The Wizard of Oz" as Dorthy stepped into technicolor.

But I digress. You're probably wondering why a review of Alice in Wonderland would have a blog title of, "Soft Sculpture". (;

There were several points in the movie where I paused it. Right after she met the Cheshire cat, I paused and said, "See boys? See his smile? That's why we call it the Cheshire Cat moon." And then I pressed play, and it panned up on the moon to illustrate my point! My boys have long known about the Cheshire Cat Moon, before they knew much about the Cheshire Cat himself.

But just as the Jabberwocky was released, I paused the movie again, turned to my oldest and said, "Go get your jabberwocky."

Last semester, for one of my classes, where I started making three dimensional art for the first time, our last assignment was what the teacher liked to call "Soft Sculpture". Which is a lot like playing Dr. Frankenstein. The way the assignment started was that each student goes out and purchases/ finds several stuffed plush animals. Then, we bring them all in, and start taking them apart to mix and match them into something new: the Soft Sculpture.

Since I have two boys, and we were approaching Christmas, I knew I needed to make two of them. And I figured if I was going to make plush monsters, I was going to make them as tributes to two of my favorites.

So for my oldest, I created my interpretation of a Jabberwocky.


Jabberwocky

Lewis Carroll

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.




As my oldest son came in with his plush, my youngest asked, "Momma, what monster did you make for me?"

And I told him, "Honey, the next time we watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, I'll ask you to bring out your Kali Ma."





Now, I admit, before I began this one, I did a bit of research on Kali Ma. And used the following image as my inspiration:

from http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vmeMo1gsw94/RunGoKZiAJI/AAAAAAAAABE/cNP3Cb8GZMw/s1600/kali+ma+1.jpg



Both of my boys were very pleased with their plush monsters, and enjoy seeing the movies that inspired them. And I constructed them well enough (Okay, it helps to actually know how to sew) that they've survived being owned by my boys for the last 6 months without mishap. (:

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I love your monsters:)) Very creative.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!