Wednesday, June 16, 2010

some serious thoughts tonight

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Current mood: angry

So I went to check my yahoo email, and on their main page is a link to a girl in Illinois who gets 2 days afterschool suspension for hugging her friends...

You know, last week, I was reading about a 5 year old in Hagerstown, Maryland who got suspended and will have a sexual assault on his record for goosing a fellow student-- and he's only one of 15 kids in Maryland under the age of 12 who were suspended for similar things in the past 2 years...

And there are states mandating that girls need to get the HPV vaccine as a preventative measure...

Is it just me, or is that a mixed message? We will punish you for -touching-... but incase you have sex, at least you won't have cervical cancer from an STD when you're older...

Or how about going back a week further where the number of schools outright banishing halloween costumes is on the rise because a couple of students at some point in the past has unacceptable costumes? Nope-- couldn't just send them home-- had to take it away from EVERYONE...

I'm getting tired of the "punish everyone because one person screws up" mentality that seems to be sweeping America these days. And the "use a sledge hammer to hit a mosquito" tactics like those above.

I doubt my boys will face those issues down here in the south where it's okay for a student to hug their teacher at the end of the day, but should it happen-- SHOULD it happen... I'll be -damned- if my child is suspended or sent to punishment for something like that! It won't happen. I won't let it happen. And damn it, the other children's parents shouldn't have let it happen either! If you let it go-- if you LET it happen, then you say that it is ALRIGHT that it IS happening. By not saying no, you've given your consent. As Becki has it in latin on her page-- Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

It's amazing to me how many less freedoms there are all the time in this land of the free.... and when does the PC end, and some sense of sanity kick back in?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!