Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Spring Break 2009 (Sunday) ((:

Monday, April 20, 2009

Category: Life

So I looked on-line and realized we couldn't go to Atlanta for Saturday to see the Terra Cotta warriors, because the gallery required signing up for specific times and Saturday was completely sold out! So I checked out Sunday and the soonest we could get in was 5:30 pm. Pre-reserved our tickets, and it cost us a grand total of $47 to get into the High Museum in Atlanta.

We left home at 9, knowing it would take 4 hours to get to Atlanta and that when we got there, it would be an hour later (:



I was half inclined to title this entry, "The High Museum of Art in Atlanta, or "Yes, you can take pictures in the museum."

(; You have NO idea how frequently people would say, "So they DO allow cameras!" or "I didn't think they allowed pictures!" And I'd respond-- "It depends on each gallery-- you just ask the guards if this is one you can." Or, "But only without flash!" ((: I figure it doesn't hurt to ask, and as a result, we got some REALLY awesome photographs!

The first gallery we took in was, "European Art 14th to 19th Centuries"





The detailing was amazing! And I was surprised to see, that in some instances, it was ACTUALLY 3 dimensional!














It was amazing watching my boys discover art (:


Although I realize my youngest is perhaps a little too young for it yet (;



This one actually led to some discussion because my boys loved the child with the dog-- but my oldest thought it was a girl (; And my youngest wanted to pet the doggy (lol)

The statuary though out the entire museum was unbelievable!







The veiled Rebekah absolutely fascinated Mark!

After our first gallery, we headed down to the cafe to grab some lunch. Settled on hot dogs with soda and a brownie (: And ate it outside.



While eating we saw our first Atlanta Pigeon!



Then the boys got to toss coins in the fountain and make wishes (:


We went through the entire "Louvre and the Masterpiece" displays-- all 4 rooms (spread out over 4 floors and across the skywalk!) of it! Of course, that was a special gallery, and no pictures were allowed. But there were some really incredible pieces in it-- some of which I'd never seen before, some which I'd seen in books in my various Art classes, and some of which I'd seen before when I was living in Germany (: It's amazing how much art the Louvre has acquired in the last 15 years!

There was a small black and white image on the map that I called to me, so the last gallery we toured was the, "American and European Modern Art" gallery.

And here's the image that got us upstairs:




This image fascinated me the way Rebekah fascinated Mark (:

When we saw this vase, we all thought of Superman (lol)


This one is one of my absolute FAVORITES from our visit to the High Museum:


My oldest found the next two fascinating (:

Supports my belief that practical things can also be pleasing to the eye!

We spent the last half hour before we needed to get in line to see what we'd come out to see down in the children's area (:



By this time, we'd already been walking through the museum for 4 hours, and the kids were starting to get VERY tired.

As the terra cotta warrior display was strictly no cameras, this is as close as we got with ours:


It was very cool! A lot to see, though Mark and I agree that the way the museum had everything set up on display left much to be desired. Admittedly, it was the last day of the showing, so there were HUNDREDS of people milling with as we went through-- Before you could go up, you had to get in a line that started at the opposite end of the museum and wend your way through a little bit of person maze (much like you do at the bank on payday (lol), before you could get into a sardine crowded elevator and head up to a display that was just -packed- with people-- but the way the displays were set up, you might just as well STILL have been in the people maze set up from downstairs-- you wound back and forth in an 's' pattern if you wanted to see everything in the room.

We hadn't even gotten to the warriors themselves yet and the boys and I had had just about enough. I'm glad we endured long enough to see the warriors-- when I was talking to my father Saturday and telling him about our plans, he told me to look at all the faces-- and he was right! They were all DIFFERENT!

The boys thought all the different kinds of money were very cool-- especially the ones shaped like knives (: Mark and I really liked the crossbow-- and I was AMAZED that they mass produced the parts for easy replacement. And that everything was signed by the maker and the person who approved it. My oldest asked me why, and I told him, "So if something went wrong-- they knew who to come after." (;

One of the things we ALL agreed was neat was how practically everything-- from hair combs and roof tiles to joins on the beams were made, not only for their practical purposes, but for asthetic beauty as well.

And the last thing we saw before we headed to the gift shop was the little figures showing how the terra cotta army was made (: It was very neat and I wish there'd been less people so we could see it in better detail-- but seriously, by the time we got that far, I was tired of the crowds, all 4 of our feet were starting to ache-- and we realized we'd been walking around the museum for -5- hours!

In the gift shop, we got each of the boys a warrior to excavate (lol), post cards (for Mark and I-- the kids were given 2 little envelopes of images and fun facts), some replicas of the neater looking money, and Mark got a book that I'll make sure to bring with, to the next shire meeting (:

As we headed back to the parking garage (which I have to admit, we were EXTREMELY luck to find-- just down around the corner from the museum, $10 for the whole day-- and we were in the second parking spot in!), we came across this:


And made sure to get a picture of the lone little building hiding in the mass of tall structures:



As we walked down the hill to the garage, the boys were saying how tired they were and how much their feet ached, and I commented, "Yes, it's been a LONG day!" And the gentleman just ahead of us said, "I believe it has been! I remember you guys coming in!" ((: It was the gentleman who was attending the parking garage when we arrived!

As we put all of our loot into the trunk, I asked Mark if we wanted to try for the laser light show at Stone Mountain, to which he asked, "Does it require walking?"... I responded (almost as disheartedly), "I suspect it will...." (there was a soft groan almost in unison from my boys as their contribution to this discussion) and I looked at Mark while he looked at me, and we decided unanimously that Stone Mountain would wait for another day! (lol)

All in all, we had a good time, didn't seen NEARLY all there was to see at the museum, enjoyed what we -did- get to see...and were ALL completely exhausted by the end of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!