Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ti-I-I-Ime....

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Current mood: speculative

So I started reading a news clip online today regarding the Incoming Freshman Mindset List.

http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2008.php

  1. Most students entering college this fall were born in 1986.
  2. Desi Arnaz, Orson Welles, Roy Orbison, Ted Bundy, Ayatollah Khomeini and Cary Grant have always been dead.
  3. "Here's Johnny!" is a scary greeting from Jack Nicholson, not a warm welcome from Ed McMahon.
  4. The Energizer bunny has always been going, and going, and going.
  5. Large fine-print ads for prescription drugs have always appeared in magazines.
  6. Photographs have always been processed in an hour or less.
  7. They never got a chance to drink 7-Up Gold, Crystal Pepsi, or Apple Slice.
  8. Baby Jessica could be a classmate.
  9. Parents may have been reading The Bourne Supremacy or It as they rocked them in their cradles.
  10. Alan Greenspan has always been setting the nation's financial direction.
  11. The U.S. has always been a Prozac nation.
  12. They have always enjoyed the comfort of pleather.
  13. Harry has always known Sally.
  14. They never saw Roseanne Rosannadanna live on Saturday Night Live.
  15. There has always been a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
  16. They never ate a McSub at McD's.
  17. There has always been a Comedy Channel.
  18. Bill and Ted have always been on an excellent adventure.
  19. They were never tempted by smokeless cigarettes.
  20. Robert Downey, Jr. has always been in trouble.
  21. Martha Stewart has always been cooking up something with someone.
  22. They have always been comfortable with gay characters on television.
  23. Mike Tyson has always been a contender.
  24. The government has always been proposing we go to Mars, and it has always been deemed too expensive.
  25. There have never been any Playboy Clubs.
  26. There have always been night games at Wrigley Field.
  27. Rogaine has always been available for the follicularly challenged.
  28. They never saw USA Today or the Christian Science Monitor as a TV news program.
  29. Computers have always suffered from viruses.
  30. We have always been mapping the human genome.
  31. Politicians have always used rock music for theme songs.
  32. Network television has always struggled to keep up with cable.
  33. O'Hare has always been the most delay-plagued airport in the U.S.
  34. Ivan Boesky has never sold stock.
  35. Toll-free 800 phone numbers have always spelled out catchy phrases.
  36. Bethlehem has never been a place of peace at Christmas.
  37. Episcopal women bishops have always threatened the foundation of the Anglican Church.
  38. Svelte Oprah has always dominated afternoon television; who was Phil Donahue anyway?
  39. They never flew on People Express.
  40. AZT has always been used to treat AIDS.
  41. The international community has always been installing or removing the leader of Haiti.
  42. Oliver North has always been a talk show host and news commentator.
  43. They have suffered through airport security systems since they were in strollers.
  44. They have done most of their search for the right college online.
  45. Aspirin has always been used to reduce the risk of a heart attack.
  46. They were spared the TV ads for Zamfir and his panpipes.
  47. Castro has always been an aging politician in a suit.
  48. There have always been non-stop flights around the world without refueling.
  49. Cher hasn't aged a day.
  50. M.A.S.H. was a game: Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House.

And it reminded me of one of my musings while driving the other day--

In particular, the phrases "Time seems to pass more slowly for kids because they're doing more things for the first time, he speculated. But when a person gets older and does the same things over and over, the routine makes time seem to speed up." reminded me that I was thinking about how time seemed to last forever when I was a kid, and how I never seem to have enough of it now.

It started with thinking about my wedding day. When Mark and I got married, my cousin, who was all of 9 at the time, threw rice -directly- in my face as we were leaving the church. But I saw his baby brother, who was 4 at my wedding, this past Christmas and he's no longer a baby. He's almost 14 for goodness sakes! Which would mean that the image I have of a 7 year old kid being rotten in my mind isn't accurate anymore. That seven year old is now approaching 19! And it made me think-- Since I've grown up, the last time I see someone is pretty much the last way I remember them. So for ever, my sister Amanda was 3 in my memory. Even though I -knew- that couldn't be the case, I was still surprised to see time fly away when I saw her again and she was no longer 3. But when I was a kid, it could be years before I saw my cousins again and they never seemed to get "older", ever. And I'm thinking it's because, at the same time -they- were changing, so was -I-, and so we were changing together and they were always "my" age.

And when I was a kid, I couldn't -wait- to grow up. But it took FOREVER to happen.... My oldest takes after me in this aspect. But unlike when I was a kid, there's someone for him (me) to tell him-- slow down. Enjoy being a kid while you are. Because at most, it'll last 17 or so years. Maybe less. But once you grown up, you'll always BE grown up.

I moved faster, I did more, I knew more, I -thought- more. I got so much more done. There were times I swored I had days with 6 extra hours in them! I always had time in spades. But I hit about 25, had kids and time slowed down on me. I slowed down on me...and for the first time in my life, time started to pass me!

See, before we had our first child, if you asked Mark and I, we had to really THINK about how long we'd been married. Off the cuff, we'd tell you it was at least a year...maybe two...but we'd been married for -three- years before we had our son. And once you have a child, you can't forget how long things have been. Because if your CHILD is 6, well, then your marriage is fast approaching a decade!

And yeah, I have plenty of routines...but I did as a kid as well. I may not be going to school regularly anymore, but I still learn stuff all the time. And not everything I do is predictable (lol).

It's just that I seemed to -finish- more things, more quickly when I was younger. Perhaps things came easier. Or perhaps it just seems that way from a decade later pespective (lol).

Still, I like the way Mr. McBride ended the article:

"It's easy to be envious of youth," he said. "But if you've got a certain degree of wisdom and your body hasn't fallen apart yet, you may be at the best time of your life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!