Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Total Lunar Eclipse and the Winter Solstice

They coincided this morning. My eight year old and I woke up at 2 am to see it. My five year old grunted a 'no' as he rolled back over and went back to sleep. My son stayed up and outside for a grand total of 20 seconds (; Just long enough to see the moon, say, "Cool...Can we go back in now?" and go right back to bed.

Yesterday, I came across a link that said that the last time these two happened at the same time was December 21, 1638. But it got me wondering-- who said so? So a quick search this morning, says that it came from Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory, who inspected a list of eclipses going back 2000 years.

The last eclipse that I saw was in the fall of 1996. And that moon was -huge-! So I have to admit, I was a little surprised at how little the moon was at 2 am (lol).

Unlike my children, I stayed out there for almost half an hour, watching it and trying to catch a picture with my camera, which was a complete fail.

What was VERY cool about the eclipse last night is it was a perfectly clear night sky and Orion was practically pointing at the moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!