Monday, January 3, 2011

Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

For New Year's Day, 2011, we had ham, corn on the cob, green beans and hash browns for dinner. We've previously done the traditional southern meals, but we end up with black eyed peas for a week that no one touches again. The same for the collard greens. Those things just don't appear to come in smaller portions. So we just skipped them this year. But I decided to try a recipe that I'd come across a couple of years ago for dessert: Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce.

When I lived in Natchitoches, Louisiana, my first time in college, and worked at The Landing Restaurant, as a waitress, one of my favorite desserts was the bread pudding. There were several dishes from there that I've spent years off and on recreating. So New Year's Day, I tried my hand at the bread pudding.

PUDDING:

1 loaf Frenc bread, torn into chunks
1 qt. milk

1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 eggs
1/2 c. raisins
3 tbsp. butter, melted

Soak break in milk for about 30 minutes. Mix sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and eggs. Mix in the raisins.  Combine with bread chunks. Spread melted butter on bottom of 13x9x2 inch pan. Add bread mixture. Bake at 350 about 30-35 minutes, until bubbly and hot.

RUM SAUCE

2 c. milk
1/2 stick butter
1/4 c. sugar
1 tbsp. nutmet
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1/3 c. rum (or to taste)
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. vegetable oil

Place milk, butter and sugar in saucepan and bring to a boil. (I actually added the Rum when I put the milk and sugar in because I wanted the flavor and not the alcohol, but you can add it when you add the vanilla, if you'd prefer.) In a small bowl, fix a rue of the cornstarch and vegetable oil.  Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch mixture. Remove from heat and add nutmeg and vanilla extract. Serve over bread pudding. And enjoy (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!