Sunday, January 9, 2011

Clean Your Room!

Okay, so I realized that it's been a while since I added more of my NaNoWriMo stories-- and the last one in here was a stinker (; So here's the latest story:

“Mom,” my oldest said (and you could tell that he was trying to be tactful), “that wasn’t a very interesting story….could you, maybe… tell us another one?” (with hope and a little bit of worry in his eyes.)

And so I asked, “Alright, so what would You like to hear a story about instead?”

To which my son replied, with a wicked bit of gleam in his eye “…my messy room.”

“Ah! Well, you’ve asked for it, so here we go!”

“Now there’s a difference between trash and mess, incase you weren’t aware. Trash is the broken bits of toys you can’t repair. The puzzle pieces without the puzzle. The papers and papers and papers that don’t really need to be kept. Those are the kinds of things that need to make their way into their black plastic grave.

But a mess! Why a mess is stuff you –want-. Stuff you keep, and probably aren’t taking care of. Stuff you need but you can’t ever find because it just doesn’t have a place to go.

And a mess is what attracts the gibbles!

What? You’ve never heard of a gibble? Oh, you know that roaches and bugs love trash—which is why you don’t want –that- in your room! But gibbles are a completely different thing! They don’t care a wit about empty soda bottles and half eaten candy. What they want is your mess!

See, a mess has lots of nooks and crannies—places to go and be unnoticed. Places to watch from. Places to store things and no one will be the wiser.

Gibbles are afraid of the light, so messes are the only way they can get about. And what gibbles feed on is the nightmares of messy children.

“Oh no! My homework was left in my room and I’m going to fail my spelling test!” –Delicious!

“Aack!! There’s a monster hiding under my bed between my left tennis shoe and my large stuffed teddy bear!” –MMmmm!

And do you know how to get rid of gibbles?

“Umm…”, began my son, “…clean my room?”

“And –keep- it clean!”, chimed in my youngest.

“That’s right!”, I said, “So you know what you need to do now, don’t you?”

And as my oldest sighed and headed to his room, my youngest said, “Momma, my room IS clean! Can I have another story?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!