Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Parable of the Tree

For Printmaking this semester, I've decided that my theme is going to be parables. And the very first one that I chose is a parable I remember hearing when I was between the ages of 10 and 14. I have tried to find this story several times and been unsuccessful in tracking it down, but I know that I did NOT make it up. It is also the first triptych I've ever made (:

The story of the Parable of the Tree:

One day, the devil went to God and said, "Hey, God, when are you going to give me dominion over the world?" And God responded, "I'll tell you what, I will give the world over to you the day the last leaf falls from the last tree, and all trees stand bare."



And so a deal was struck between Satan and God.


The Devil sent his minions out into the world to watch the trees, and when the leaves had fallen from all save one, the devil himself came to watch it.



When the last leaf fell from that tree, the devil went to claim his prize,

but in the time it took for all the leaves to fall from the last tree, all the other trees in the world had sprouted again, and thus was the devil denied his prize, for God would never give over dominion of the world to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!