Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Tree

In the middle of working on Anton Purr's Parable of the Tree, I hit a snag. I was originally going to try to monoprint the tree, but couldn't figure out how I was going to do the words. So I paused working on it and thought it out some more. After a couple of days, I came up with my solution.

The first thing that I did was decide on the words of wisdom that hold the meaning of life:

Peace Paz 和平 سلام

Love Cariño عشق

Friendship Amistad 友谊 صداقة

Kindness Amabilidad 仁慈 لطف

Respect Respeto 尊重 احترم

Honor Honra شرف

Compassion Compasión 同情 شفق

Patience Paciencia 耐心 صبر

Charity Caridad 慈善 صدقة

Temperance Templanza زهد

Hope Esperanza 希望 أمل

As you can see, I decided to use them in four of the most commonly used languages of our time: English, Spanish, Chinese and Arabic. It took me three days of double referencing over a dozen "translation" sites to make sure I had the most likely 'true' translations into Spanish, Chinese and Arabic....as I don't actually speak or read any of them.

Then I hand etched them into a plexiglass plate in a semi-repeating pattern. It took 8 hours of actual etching time to complete, done over roughly 4 days.

I should probably mention this meant doing all the letter backwards (;

This is what the plate looks like, inked, with my outline of the tree that I used as a guideline:

And this is what the finished print looks like:

You should be able to click on the images for higher resolution and closer detail.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!