Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Fables of Frogs

Our second assignment in Conceptual Drawing was to triptych (three panels that are all related to each other) where we had to 'fight' with the paper; to experiment with it and our tools and media-- start out by scribbling all over it, make it dirty, and go from there.

The day Mr. Skaggs gave the assignment, he and the guys in the class got into a discussion that included him saying, "Like boys who throw frogs against the wall for fun", and it reminded me of the Aesop's Fable about The Boys and The Frogs, and so I decided that my triptych was going to be about the three most popular Aesop Fables about Frogs.

Below, I have each of the Aesop's fables that inspired the panels, as well as detail images of each panel.

The Frog and the Ox
  "Oh Father," said a little Frog to the big one sitting by the side of a pool, "I have seen such a terrible monster!
It was as big as a mountain, with horns on its head, and a long tail, and it had hoofs divided in two."
  "Tush, child, tush," said the old Frog, "that was only Farmer White's Ox.  It isn't so big either; he may be a little
bit taller than I, but I could easily make myself quite as broad; just you see." So he blew himself out, and blew
himself out, and blew himself out. "Was he as big as that?" asked he.
   "Oh, much bigger than that," said the young Frog.
   Again the old one blew himself out, and asked the young one if the Ox was as big as that.
   "Bigger, father, bigger," was the reply.
   So the Frog took a deep breath, and blew and blew and blew, and swelled and swelled and swelled.  And
then he said: "I'm sure the Ox is not as big as But at this moment he burst.

A close up on the left panel, titled, "The Frog and The Oxen", done completely with graphite.
The Boys and the Frogs

  Some boys, playing near a pond, saw a number of Frogs in the water and began to pelt them with stones.  They
killed several of them, when one of the Frogs, lifting his head out of the water, cried out: "Pray stop, my boys:
what is sport to you, is death to us."

The middle panel, "The Boys and The Frogs" done in graphite and collage.

The Scorpion and the Frog
  A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its
back. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."
  The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of
paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"
 Replies the scorpion: "Its my nature..."

The third panel "The Scorpion and The Frog", done with graphite.


And here are all 3, side by side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!