Thursday, May 19, 2011

Aesop's Guide to the Birds and the Bees

Our final in conceptual drawing was to create a 'zine (a miniature magazine) consisting of 16 pages on any theme that we wished.  I've mentioned before that I was working my way through some of Aesop's Fables, so I decided to stick with it and share several of them.

I had already accepted that a side theme I'd had was death, so I thought that I would mix that in as well.

Several weeks before, when the assignment was first mentioned, a random conversation came up in class about Troy being confused as the origin for Trojan Condoms.  At the beginning of the school year, the dean of Troy had announced a new policy regarding "the Trojan Way"-- which meant no one would be allowed to wear pajamas to class, and people needed to dress nicely on campus.  It made me think of making an advertisement, because...well...magazines are full of ads.  So I decided I would add spoof ads to my 'zine.  And if I was going to have a spoof ad referencing sex... well, the title of my 'zine was born:  Aesop's Guide to the Birds and the Bees.


This is side one of my layout.
This is the other side.
I created the 2 page spread in adobe illustrator, printed it out, drew and painted my pieces in, then loaded it back into illustrator so that I could print out my 17 copies.

Title page

 




When I made the cover, I titled it, "Aesop's Guide to the Birds and the Bees", written by Aesop, butchered and illustrated by Janin MLK Wise (;

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!