Sunday, May 22, 2011

Feng Shui

Come August, we'll have lived in this house for 5 years.  Come August, we'll have lived in this house for 2 years without also living with Mark's Grandmother.  She's living with Mark's parents 5 minutes up the road.  Got to visit with her for a bit when we went over this evening (:

When we moved down here 5 years ago, we moved from a house that was over 3000 sq ft.  Grandmother's house is about 1500.  And she'd already moved into it from a house that was over 3000 sq ft.  I mention this to point out that it was already overfull with stuff when we moved in.  Mathematically speaking, you simply cannot put 6000 sq. ft of stuff in 1500 sq. ft of space... well... not without being a hoarder.

So the majority of our things have been in 2 separate storage units for the most of the last 5 years.  After Grandmother moved, I still didn't feel completely comfortable making her home ours.  But 2 years in and I -have- to get through this stuff!  I know that I'm coming up on a very busy year in school.  If I don't get my house in order this summer-- I won't have a chance to for another year.  So I've been busting tail this past week, without plans of easing up this coming week, so that everything in my home has a place and it's that much easier to keep clean.

But that's not really what this post is about.  I mean, yes, I plan to rearrange furniture, and have already done so in 3 rooms.  Nope, this post is about going through boxes that haven't been opened in 5-12 years.  A vast majority of what I've come across has been in great condition-- but something that we no longer need/ want/ have any attachment to.  And all of that has found it's way to the Salvation Army Thrift Store where others can find what they need amongst it.  And some of the rest of what I've come across was outright just trash that has since found it's way to the sanitation department.

But some of it!  Oh, the very smallest some of it!  were things that I've been looking for, unsuccessfully, for the last 5 years:  Art work that I made at my previous universities, that matter to me.  Two cookbooks I've desperately looked for off and on when trying to cook.  A couple of favorite mugs and glasses.  And three or four decorations.

It doesn't sound like much, but finding -these things- has put a nagging 'to do' list that has been in the back of my mind for 5 years, finally, -finally-, at rest.  Things, literal, physical things, have been returned to their proper places.  And my mind and spirit are easier because of it. 

It's amazing how freeing it is, no longer having to worry if they've been lost, or broken, or destroyed.  I endured some fairly intense insomnia all week while I worried about all the clearing out and stuff that I have to do this summer.  But when I found these personal treasures amongst all the other stuff, and brought them into my home, and restored them to their place in my physical space-- I finally rested when I went to sleep.  I slept like the dead for 12 hours last night, and it didn't have anything to do with the rapture that wasn't. (;

I have stopped several times throughout the day today, with my eyes resting on one or another of them, and found myself smiling.  I'll finish doing the rest of the 'rearranging of furniture' this week-- but that's not the real feng shui:  As silly as it may seem, my personal heaven and earth have been aligned by taking the last of the, "Where is the..." questions, and laying them to rest.  The few things that could not be found, have been, and my world is finding its' order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!