Thursday, May 19, 2011

Papaya

Wow!  So it's been almost exactly 2 months since my last post (Oops!)  Been busy (;  Will have to catch up!  But before I inundate my blog with art work, right now, I want to talk about Papaya.

I was born in Hawaii.  It makes sense, I'm half Hawaiian.  When I was 2, my Mom (who was in the Army) had to go to drills or something, so I was in Michigan with my Grandma Betty and Grandpa Ervin.  I have absolutely no recollection of this, save as a story told by my Grandma Betty.

The way she tells it, on the second or third day, I was -so- sad.  She thought it was because I missed my Momma.  So she said, "Oh honey, what's wrong?"  And in a cute, sad, 2 year old voice, my unexpected response, accompanied with a little sigh, was, "I want a papaya."  We went to every store in the area and she desperately tried to find me one.  And she always ended this tale by saying we couldn't find one (it was Michigan in the late 70s)...and she didn't have any idea what it was (;

So two days ago, while perusing my Netflix, I see "Scent of Green Papaya."  Immediately, I was reminded of the above tale, but seconds later I thought... "I'm pretty sure I watched this movie as a kid."  So I watched it again, and indeed, I had (:  Still enjoy it!

Both of these tales to say that today, while doing my grocery shopping in Ozark, Alabama, I spotted a fruit


that I immediately recognized (having seen it 2 days ago in the movie) as a Papaya.  I stood there contemplating them for almost 3 minutes, trying to decide if 1. I wanted to spend $3 per pound on a fruit that 2. I didn't know if I was still going to like (since I haven't had it in over 30 years) and 3. that I had no idea how to open or prepare.  When I realized I could just google how to prepare the stupid thing, I put it in my cart.



I'll admit, I was probably biased because it was smiling at me (;

So I brought it home and found a youtube video on selecting, peeling and preparation.  As I watched it, I realized that papaya is a melon.  I -love- melons...but only if they're cold.  When they're warm, they taste like garbage.



So I followed the directions, scooped out the centers, peeled and cut them.  And as a test, I took a bite from a piece before I put the rest in the fridge.  As expected, at room temperature, it tasted like garbage.
As icky as that sounds, it's promising.  Now I'm just waiting for them to cool so I can try it again and see if I still like them (;

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!