Thursday, May 19, 2011

A tribute to MC Escher

When I was a little girl, I saw an MC Escher print.  I absolutely adored it, and he became one of my favorite artists from that moment on.

My second semester in college, my art teacher required us to research an artist-- go ahead.  Take a wild guess who I chose (;

Not only were we required to write a five page paper about our selected artist, but then she required us to create an art piece based on one of theirs.

I chose MC Escher's "Snakes" as my base:


And created this:

"Dragons and Snakes Entwined Eternal"  8" x 10".  Pen and colored pencil.
Prints and other merchandise available at:
http://society6.com/JaninWise/Dragons-and-Snakes-Entwined-Eternal_Print#1=45

I've always been fascinated by the Chinese zodiac.  I knew that my 'sign' was the serpent.  And Mark, who has always been my best friend (since I met him when I was 15), is a dragon.  So I created our signs around an infinity and sent it to him.

I used to pride myself on imperfections.  There are 2 in this image.  See if you can find them (;

On an aside, I didn't realize until after Mark and I were married that my infinity sign could just as easily be interpreted as 2 wedding bands entwined.  This Halloween we'll celebrate our 12th anniversary...but we've been best friends for 19 years this fall (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!