Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Food for Thought

So tonight I'm the only person in my house.  Husband is at work.  Kids are at their Grandparents...although, admittedly, that means one is 5 minutes away...and the other is over 12 hours.

My mother-in-law and I went to the local farmer's market.  I got summer squash, beef tomatoes and corn on the cob.

I decided that since I'm the only one home, I was having pan fried summer squash, onions and bacon.  It was absolutely delicious.  And none of my guys will eat it.  That was about 5 hours ago.  Now, I'm thinking.  I'm thinking about why I love fried summer squash.

When I think of fried summer squash, I have two distinctly different memories.  One is of my Grandma Betty cooking them for us in her kitchen in Michigan.  The other is of my mother doing the same in the numerous kitchens the ARMY made home.  I associate a lot of laughter and a lot of smiles with the dish.  (It doesn't hurt that it's absolutely delicious!)

I can't get large beef tomatoes without thinking of Mark's Grandmother.  She introduced me to putting salt on the slices and just eating them that way with a fork.  Who knew tomatoes could taste that good?!?  Especially since I grew up with texture issues when it came to food.  I was the kid that picked the sesame seeds off the bun; the seeds off of a strawberry; the squishy center out of the tomato.  I couldn't eat anything slimy.  Or anything that had more than one texture at a time.  And to this day, if egg shell ends up in -anything- (from my eggs to my baked goods), as soon as I bite down on it, I have to spit out whats in my mouth and stop eating or I'm going to yark.  So I certainly never expected that I would actually -like- tomatoes.

That's something that I've come to accept in the last 5 years.  Our tastes change.  And they say it takes 12 or more exposures to a food before you develop a liking to it (if you didn't like it right off the bat).  Twice every year for the last 5, I try a boil peanut.  I eat it.  I haven't developed a taste for them yet.  Who knows if I ever will.  It might be back to that slimy thing...

As to the corn, I always think of my husband Mark.  He loves it, but more specifically, I always think of him telling the story of his cat Patches-- who absolutely adored corn.  I mean steal the cob off your plate, eat the plants you're trying to grow in the backyard, adored corn.

And it all makes me wonder what associations my children will have with the foods they love.  Will it be special dishes that were made with love?  Will it be fresh vegetables or fruit and a general feeling of happiness?  Will it be with funny stories?

I don't know.  But I sure do look forward to finding out (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!