Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Crawfish Jubilee

When I worked at the Landing, crawfish jubilee was one of my ultimate favorite dishes.  It took me almost a decade to get as close to it as I could.  Tonight, I made it into a spicy crawfish pie (:  It smelled delicious and was so good, I had to go back for seconds!

Crawfish Jubilee

Ingredients

Rice
Crawfish tails
1 onion, diced fine
2-3 tablespoons of minced garlic
Vegetable oil
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Paprika
Pepper
Parsley
Salt

Additional for the pie: 2 thawed ready made crusts.

Rice-- 2 cups of rice to 3 cups of water, a sploosh of vegetable oil and a touch of salt.  You can cook in on the stove (bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 40 minutes), or you can cook it in a steamer.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to live crawfish where we live, so I get 2 packages of the tails from the freezer section at the store then rinse them in the sink and finish cleaning the ones the sorters missed. (ie.  devaining them)

While I finish rinsing the crawfish, I put vegetable oil in the bottom of a frying pan and set it for medium high.  Then I dice an onion and use fresh minced garlic, and saute both in the oil.  When the onions start to go clear, add the crawfish.  Cover in a good dose of Louisiana Hot Sauce, then sprinkle heavily with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, parsley and salt to taste.  Stir it all up and let some of the moisture cook out of it.  This gives the crawfish time to absorb the seasonings.

For Crawfish Jubilee, serve the crawfish beside a nice helping of white rice with parsley sprinkled on top.

For spicy crawfish pie, the oven should be warmed up to 350.  I like to use a 9x11 pan.  Thaw the two ready made crusts.  In the baking dish, pour in the rice, then pour the crawfish mixture on top (It will still be fairly juicy).  Stir them together until fairly well mixed.  Then lay the 2 crusts over the top of the pie overlapping so they cover the entire surface.  Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden, then serve.

Mmm!  Just thinking about it is making me want a -third- helping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!