Friday, July 22, 2011

Living in the Video Gaming Age

Every now and then, my 5 year old asks me if I played the xbox 360 or playstation game that he's currently playing, when I was a little girl.  I have to remind him that we didn't have those games when I was little.  We got a Nintendo when I was a young teenager:  Super Mario Brothers (the original) and Duck Hunt; Tetris was a personal favorite.  We didn't have a computer in the house until I was 12 or so.

See?  Even in the 80s, girls played video games (;


But my little boys have grown up with computer learning games.  They were using Nick Jr., Fisher Price, and PBS as early as 2 and just goofing around on the computer almost as soon as they could sit.

My youngest, playing on Daddy's computer, before he was 2.

Today, I was reminded of how it has changed they way they play, since they're growing up in the video game age.  My 4 year old nephew came over to play with his cousins and shortly thereafter, I could hear the heated sounds of battle coming from the darkened hallway...with a whole lot of light related weapons going off in there...


And periodically, the sounds of explosions and lightning and battle were punctuated by cries of, "Pause!" like they were playing a video game (:

I knew instantly that my boys were pretending to play Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

Ergo all the lightning sound effects and light related toys...
It reminded me instantly of when my youngest was 3 1/2.  He would come running down the hall shouting, "X, X, A, B!" and would inform me that, "That gives me super speed, Momma!"

He was in his Sonic Unleashed Phase.



He even drew about it (:

"It's Sonic Unleashed running around, Momma!"  (Yup, I'm the Mom that writes that sort of quote down on the back of the art work with the date so we'll always remember it.)

It makes me wonder how different imaginary play will be by the time my children are old enough to have children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!