Friday, August 5, 2011

Bologna and Crackers!

Tonight, as my boys asked for dessert after their Friday night pizza, I knew that what they wanted was ice cream.  My oldest prefers vanilla, like his Daddy.  (Mark likes to call himself an ice cream purist-- no nuts, not fru-fru toppings, just plain vanilla icecream.)  My youngest absolutely adores chocolate.  None of them will touch my pistachio almond with a 12 foot pole, possibly even to save the world (;  (Woohoo!  More for me!)

As I was scooping it for them, I was thinking about how ice cream mold is one of Mark's favorite things about ice cream that's been in the freezer for a while.  It's the extra sweet layer that ends up on the top of the ice cream lid if it's kept in a self-defrosting freezer.

Then I was thinking about dinner itself.  I finished both of my boy's pizza bones.  I have to admit, the pizza bones have always been my favorite part of the pizza.  Even though the rest of my family has always been more inclined to save them for the dogs.  (I admit, sometimes I'll eat one and give the other to the dogs, so we're sharing.)

As my mind continued on it's train of thought, I was thinking about how my favorite part of saltine crackers are the crumbs at the bottom of the bag.

And that led me to a memory, not of an event, but of my mother telling me about an event.  Apparently, when I was 5 and my sister was 3, we'd been particularly good while grocery shopping.  As a reward, my mother told us that we could have -anything- that we wanted.

She expected that one of the bright candies at the checkout, or one of the colorfully charactered cereals was going to be our request.

Instead, my sister and I, in loud chorus, cheered and said, "Can we have bologna and crackers, Momma!  Please!! Please!!!"

My mother said all sorts of eyes turned toward the three of us, having heard the exchange, and she was so embarrassed that people would think her children were so deprived that given the choice for anything, they would ask for bologna and crackers.

Every time she tells the tale, it makes me laugh.  And it makes me wonder what off the wall foods my children are going to enjoy and what stories I'll share with them regarding embarrassing parenting moments. (;

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!