Friday, August 12, 2011

Creating Amazing Contraptions

This evening, my almost 6 year old wanted to watch the next episode of Blues Clues on Netflix.  He was amazed that he's on episode 105, which turns out the be Season 5, Episode 5 - Contraptions.

The first thing we see is Joe with the contraption he's made to help waving.  And then he makes a crayon slide so he can slide crayons down a ramp to blue.



At that point, my youngest pauses the episode and dashes off to his room and my 9 year old runs to get a book he has that is full of contraption ideas.  After browsing through the pictures and learning about Rube Goldbergs, my oldest daydreams about running a series of lines and pulleys across his ceiling with baskets and magnets to choose books off his bookshelf and pull them to his bed.

Meanwhile, my youngest son has gone into his room and pulled out all of his building blocks to make a ramp for his matchbox cars.  With a little help regarding supports and side rails, he made it tall enough to go from the seat of his desk chair all the way down to the floor, pretty much all by himself-- and it -works-!

And earlier this evening, he was playing with dominoes.  He started out setting them up to knock down, then decided to use them like building blocks.  It was pretty impressive.  He managed to get it 7 'stories' high.


He's even inspired the rest of the family, on occasion to join him in his dominoes.

It's not the first time that he's impressed me with his ingenuity, manual dexterity and patience:


Once again, all he needed were a few pointers to get him started, and he ran with it!

 He's always had a fascination for stacking things.  One of the things that impresses me most is that he'll vanish into his room to work on something, sometimes for hours (with me occasionally checking on him to make sure he's alright) and then he comes out to show off the finished product.

They've always been very impressive!

I'm always excited to see what he's come up with when he calls me into his room.
 Tomorrow, my boys want help creating a Rube Goldberg of their own.  I'm very interested to see what they come up with (:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!