Saturday, August 6, 2011

Musings at Simple Simons

Today when we stopped for lunch at Simple Simons, we were reminiscing about when Mark and I were teenagers.  The other day, Mom and my niece had been going through the old photos I posted to facebook and Mom remembered this one as taking place in Alabama.


I was 16, he was 17, and my parents gathered up both of my sisters and all four of them left the house and left us -completely alone- for 4 hours....

You know what we did, right?

That's right.

We sat on the floor and talked.  We played chess.  We sat on the couch and talked.  And we listened to music and talked.

Seriously.  That's all we did.  We look back on it and laugh at the missed opportunity, but nothing more than that even occurred to me at the time.  I mentioned it to my mother after we were married and she said that she never had to worry about me.  I was her good child.  In retrospect, I was her naive child (;

But from there, I was remembering a t-shirt that my friend Ambrosia liked to wear.  It said, "What part of NO don't you understand?!?"  The first time I saw it, I stared at her shirt and cocked my head to the side quizzically.  She said, "What?!" and I said, "The 'k' and the 'w'.  I've never understood why they're silent."

That led to a hysterical conversation today about pronouncing it  K-now.  Which led to K-nife.  K-night. and K-nit.

Why does it even have to be there if it's going to be silent?  I mean, it's not -usually- silent.  We don't fly ites, or play with our ids, or ick someone in the head.

All in all, it was a wonderful visit and an excellent pizza joint, in the middle of a wildly successful Tax Free shopping day (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!