Sunday, September 25, 2011

Confessions of an Outdoor Antihorticulturist

Two years ago, I prided myself on starting a garden to make this house 'ours'.

I tried my hand at growing vegetables in containers.  I grew them well enough, but my family wasn't big on eating them.

So last year, I repotted with flowers.  Even set up a flower box around my mail box.  Made sure to plant plenty of bulbs and perennials.  And it was a joy to see them blooming and watch the hummingbirds come to my yard, well into October!  Even set up a shade garden on the side of the house that doesn't get as much sun.

This year, I decided that I was going to let my outdoor plants fend for themselves.  I wanted to see what my 'plant things that will come back' garden would do without the constant attention.  After all, Grandmother's daffodils and snowdrops have come up every year, faithfully, without any help on my part.

I did, however, make sure to water my hanging baskets.

Then, we went away for a week for family vacation in the middle of summer.  My hanging flowers died.  But still, I held out to my original plan of non-intervention.

I am a bad plant Mommy.

And in the end, I have a confession to make:  I let all of them die this year.  My yard is currently littered with sad little plant bodies.

I am a plant murder.

"You say, 'Dead.'  I say, 'Extremely low Maintenance.' "

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!