Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Feeling Feminine

Yesterday afternoon, one of my neighbor's dropped off an Avon magazine.  She apparently sells Avon.  Over the last 15 years, I've had to find tactful ways to let them know:  I simply don't wear makeup.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't own any, that I don't occasionally put on some eye shadow, or that I've never worn it.  What I -am- saying is that my entire makeup collection consists of 2 lip glosses, 4 eye shadows and a blush.  I think I might also have about 4 bottles of nail polish....somewhere.

I remember when I was 12 and I finally had permission to wear makeup!  My Mom bought me my own and everything!  Like all little girls trying it out for the first time, I didn't want any help and the end result was a toss up between a street walker and a clown.

http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/goldomark/b7d44d41dc964deac15617130783016c.jpg?v=142200
Oops.

So I accepted my mother's advice on how to apply it.  And the end result was much prettier.  I even put nail polish on my fingers... and within four hours, I couldn't wait to get it all off.  My nails, my skin, my face-- they couldn't breathe!  I could feel my nails drying out and tightening.  I could feel my face drying out and didn't like the weight of the make up on it.  My mother pointed out that I just wasn't used to it.  I knew it wasn't something that I wanted to get used to.  And so, so very shortly after my makeup career was launched, it was pretty much ended.

http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_11869/subcat_23671/Browne2.jpg
Simply put, make up isn't my thing.  Fortunately, I don't need it to feel feminine or attractive.

What I do when I want to dress up, when I want to feel 'pretty', is don earrings.  I collect earrings the way some women collects shoes.

http://www.jasonlove.com/cartoons/01258-funny-cartoons-shoe-fetish.gif

I believe my ears were pierced the first time when I was around 8 months old.  My mom has always said it was related to tradition and being born a Hawaiian Catholic.  In any event some of the first pictures of me sitting are with earrings.

At some point in my early teens, I remember walking through the mall with my Mom and sister and coming to a Claire's Botique and my Mom offering to get our ears pierced a second time.  I jumped at the chance-- and 2 sets of earrings showed up in the photos.

Ever since I was a little girl, I always knew I wanted three sets of piercings in my ears.  I even had a stuffed bear that I would put a triple set in it's ears.

So when I was 15 and she offered to take me to Claire's to get it done-- I leapt into the seat energetically... but it clipped the cartiledge in my ear and within a week, both ears were infected.  I had to let the holes go.

I tried again at 18-- but it happened again.  Probably didn't help that the lady doing it pierced my ears in exactly the same spot as the previous failed attempts.  The crunch and burn of having my cartlidge tipped again was the warning sign that foretold the infection that led to having to let my third holes close up for a second time.

In my twenties, I tried again.  And when they had to be allowed to close yet again, I decided after three, it was just not meant to be, I guess.

But I really wanted them.  So when I turned 31, Mark took me to the mall for my birthday, and we went into Claire's Boutique.  This time, I asked the woman to please NOT try to pierce them through the dimple the previous attempts had left.  And I went with solid white gold studs so there was no chance of an allergic reaction.  I knew my ears had finally been pierced right when I didn't hear the sickening crunch or feel the fire in my lobes.

And I've had all three sets of piercings for going on three years now.

I always wear the white gold studs.  It took so long to get my sets, I don't want to run the risk of them closing.  And usually, I wear them with a single set of earrings in the first hole.  But when I'm -really- getting dressed up, I wear 6 earrings.



And it makes me feel attractive.  And very feminine.  Even if I'm wearing blue jeans and tennis shoes.  Even though I'm -not- wearing makeup.


1 comment:

  1. I love it! I too, have eschewed makeup in recent years, along with no longer dying or cutting my hair. Where your thing to feel feminine is earrings, mine is leaving my hair (almost mid-hip length now) down, and trading my jeans and t-shirts for something long and flowy for the day! It's great to feel natural and beautiful! <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!