Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Game Of Goose, A Work In Progress

I don't normally like to post about something I'm in the middle of working on.  I prefer to do so after I've finished.  But I can tell that without motivation, I'm not going to finish this project.  I'm hoping blogging about it, and knowing that it's out there unfinished will motivate me to get on with figuring it out (;

Every year, my SCAdian Shire, Flintmarsh, has a Yule Party (Read: Christmas).  Part of that has been a yearly game.  Last year, we did hand painted cards.  We're working on ideas for this years.  Since I'm the gamer (completely different meaning than you're thinking! (lol),  read: local medieval board games expert) in the shire, I was hoping we could start on some of the more complicated game boards.  So I tried out Goose.

The first thing that I do is create a template for the 2 fabrics of the game board.  The background and the one that I'll actually be stitching the game board on.

I decided to use this template for the game and wanted to make sure it would fit.

Then I traced out the spiral on the game board fabric.

The finished tracing.

I chose red thread, since the background fabric that I've chosen is red.

Using a straight stitch, I started following the spiral in.

Close up.

After following the spiral all the way in.

Now it's time to start the cross stitches.  WITHOUT taking the thread off, I turned the needle and sewed the first one.


Then I picked up the presser foot with the needle lifted and moved to the next line over.

You can start to see how this works, right?  Just back stitch at both ends to seal the stitch.


But just in case you needed more examples....

This is what it looks like once you make it all the way back out of the spiral.  This is the point where you clip all the stray strings from doing the cross lines.  From here out, it's hand sewing.  

The most important part of a race game is to know where you're going, so the next step is putting in the numbers.

Once again, just working my way into the spiral.

For those who like 'behind the scene' shots.
Then I started placing Geese with an outline.  I didn't particularly care for how it looked. 
so I filled it in.

This is where I stopped.  See, I can tell a couple of things just from getting to this point.  1.  The geese make the game board very thick.  Possibly too thick to have the glass marble pieces sitting on them, making it hard to play the game.  And 2.  I can also already tell that the entire process will take between 8 and 12 hours of actual work.  Considering that my shire makes about 25 game boards, and there are only about half a dozen sewers/ embroiderers, that's an awful lot of work to put on them for the next 3 months.  So my suggestion to my shire was to do this as an iron on transfer, or to choose a different game.  But until I figure out how to fix the goose to make the game board more easily playable, this is as far as I'm going to get... for now (;

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!