Friday, September 16, 2011

Parenting Fail


My oldest and I are talking and out of the blue, he asks me if I remember the episode of Penguins of Madagascar where Mort cuts down a tree with a butter knife.

I say that I do not.  Because I do not.

After a little pause where he's telling me about how strong Mort is, he says, "I remember you saying, "Yup.... Butter knives are sharp."

As soon as he said it, I went into a laughing fit for 10 minutes straight because I remember saying
 -that-. And suddenly, I remember seeing the episode.

We'd been having issues with my youngest licking his butter knife and using it wrong (read unsafely) and it was shortly after my oldest had stabbed himself in the leg with his pocket knife.  And in that brief moment when they looked to me for an answer to their unasked question, ("Could you really cut down a tree with a butter knife, Mom?") I decided to use that moment to impress upon my little boys the need to be careful with knives.


....Sorry... another hysterical laughing fit.  My 9 year old is now staring at me with his hands on his hips wondering WHY this keeps amusing me.

It's actually threefold: 1.  That I kept a straight face when I told them that the first time in an effort to impress my point upon them.  2.  That it stuck with them, when I know it's been well over a year since we saw that episode.  and 3.  Hearing it come back to bite me in the butt in such an unexpected manner.

I wish I could find this clip, because the association I made in that single sentence is SO over the top (lol).


...At least I didn't lose them in the sewer...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!