Thursday, September 15, 2011

Whether You Think You Can Or Can't, You're Right

I have always told my little boys, "You never really lose... until you give up.  If you keep trying-- you give yourself the opportunity that, at some point, you're going to get better, you're going to win."

It started as advice for when they would get frustrated with video games and difficult levels.  They would get angry.  They might even holler in frustration.  And I would tell them to take a break, calm down, then try again.  If you give up, you lose.  If you keep trying, eventually, you get it right.

They quickly discovered that this advice works in the real world as well as it does in the virtual game worlds.  Climbing trees.  Going across monkey bars.  Writing.  Baseball.  Addition.  Making art.  Reading.  ANY skill;  ANY activity worth doing:  If you don't give up, if you just keep trying, you get better.  You eventually improve and begin to get it right.

And I guess this is a basic premise of how I view the world:  I'm a firm believer in, "I think I can", and a sometimes believer in "I think I can't...right now....but trust me, that doesn't mean I'm giving up".

Of all the things I pass on to my children, I think the determination of "The Little Engine that Could" is one to be proud of.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!