Friday, October 7, 2011

Split Aparts

For our second painting assignment this semester, we were told we could do either a self-portrait or a painting on a social issue that matters to us.  I decided to do both.

As I was trying to decide which social issue I wanted, my friend Bo Allen made a post of facebook asking for prayers for friends of his in Virginia that were victims of a gay/lesbian hate crime.

I decided to dedicate this painting to them.

I began by printing out Plato's Symposium, The Seven Conversations of Love.  I used 6 of them in smaller text to create the background of my piece, gluing them down like pages of literature.

On top of these, I glued down slightly larger quotes about love, kissing, and how they connect our souls.

Then I covered it in a base coat of paint.


My primary idea is, "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies", so this quote is center top.

Then I drew in my shapes and began working on my background colors.


My concept is a tree of life sprouting out of the top my head (as this is my idea) covered in Persian carnations, symbolic of the incarnation of 'God made flesh' and a sign of life.  On top of this are 2 stylized wedding bands entwined.  Over this are three couples, 2 male, a male and female, and 2 female.  The base for the couples is the seventh conversation-- Aristophane's interpretation of love, where the idea of split aparts come from.


Then I added the details.

The tree, sprouting from my head.




And the finished piece:

"Split Aparts", 3' x 5', paper, wall paper and acrylic paint on masonite.
Prints and other merchandise available at my society 6 page.

Individual details of each of the couples available here:

Couple on the left
Couple in the center
Couple on the right


Because it is time to realize that hate is far more of a choice that sexual orientation will ever be, and marriage should be a union between people who love, honor, respect and understand each other-- regardless of their gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!