Thursday, November 17, 2011

Collaborative Studio 5, the Gallery, Collaborating and #6

I have had so much fun in this class!  And I have to admit that I'm stoked about being on display with my classmates in a real gallery (even if it's just the gallery in the art department on campus).

We collaborated on the idea of 5.  We collaborated on how to set up the space.  And we actually did a couple of collaborative pieces.

 But first, I'm going to share the awesome poster that Skaggs created for our show.


We used plastic drop sheeting to create 'walls'.  It served 3 purposes-- 1. to direct the flow of traffic, 2. to create individual rooms for the different elements and 3. to break up the space in an interesting and almost mysterious way.  I think it was very successful, and a wonderful collaborative effort.

Joe created a cage for each classmate and it was our job to fill them as we saw fit.  I love the overall visual of them together.

Close up on mine.

A view into the gallery.

And in the center, we placed an actual wall that art work could be attached to.
I absolutely love the variety of two dimensional and three dimensional art that was created for this show.

If you happen to be in Troy, Alabama between now and the 29th, stop in at the Malone Gallery and check it out for yourself (:

Collaborative Studio 5, Piece #5

Ether/Heaven, Blue, Flames, Christianty
This project began with the idea of wanting to make the ‘Four Little Ponies of the Apocalypse”.  A variety of blue flames cover the top of the box.  The four ponies are White:  Conquest, Red: War, Black: Famine and Pale Green: Death.  Each of the first three horses bears the corresponding sign on it’s hip, but as death has no hip, it also has no Little Pony Tag.  It amuses me that the Death Little Pony is made to look skeletal, but also allows you to see the inner workings of the toy.  I left the bottom of their feet unpainted, so that the Hasbro sign is still left visible.  I decided to put them on top of a music box, because sound is considered part of the sphere of Heaven, to the tune of Blondie’s Rapture. 

...or it will.  When it's finished.  I had to get it turned in, so the box is not completed, although there's a good foundation and the musical movement is in place-- the box is not finished and the music box doesn't play.  Yet.

But the ponies turned out beautifully.

My four donated victims (:
The future Famine.
Famine, with the scales.
The future Conquest.
Conquest, with the bow and arrow.

The future War.
Working on War's tail.
War's sword.
and the future Death.
 Death started out with a hot x-acto knife...

And wire....

LOTS of wire.

While I waited to continue working on my horses, I began painting my box.

 
It took 2 days for her hooves to set.

Whose the little blue horse?, you ask?  That's for project # 6 (;

I glazed the box in blue and added the world wide signs for the number 5 and the element ether.

Then I created my death horse.




"Four Little Ponies of the Apocalypse" on display in the gallery.



They're pretty cool.  But I anticipate that they'll be even cooler when I finish the box and it plays "Rapture" (;

Collaborative Studio 5, #4

Earth, Yellow, Square/Cube , Islam
I assigned Islam to Earth because they are required to go through a series of prayer moves that include kneeling prostate, several times a day, facing East, and typically using a prayer rug to help maintain purity.  I chose to hand make a quilted and embroidered prayer rug, from materials that would never stand up to such vigorous use.  A rectangle is composed of two squares and I read that Kabbalistic practice also holds the square in high regard.  A keyhole is always placed at the top of a prayer rug, to help distinguish the direction, and should always face East.  To increase the feminine feel, I added a Hand of Fatima, a sign of warding off evil.  The quilting technique is called 'crazy quilting' and was very popular in the early 1900s.  To increase the feel of that time, I added art noveau-esque floral touches.  I hand sewed and embroidered the entire piece.  It took a little over 43 hours of work to complete.

I started with a sketch.
Then I selected my fabrics.
This was one of the scariest parts for me-- cutting up $100 worth of material.
Then I started laying out my pieces like a large fabric puzzle.



Finally!  Then I hand stitched my background down.
Then I created templates to cut my other pieces from.



Making sure I like my fabric choices.
 Then, it was all about doing the embroidery.

I love the way the lotus turned out.



As well as the Hand of Fatima.



As well as my other decorative elements.



Then I began embroidering the signs for the number 5 and the element earth.  I did it in two layers.  In the first, I placed the main stitches down.







Then I added the fringe and went over the first layer of signs with a gold thread to make them look like solid lines.



The finished piece.
Detail of the center.
"A Feminine Touch" prayer rug on display in the gallery.
Another view of "A Feminine Touch" prayer rug.