Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Busy, Busy Reader!

Last night, I got my first notice that I'd won a book through goodreads First Reader, for the book Bella Notte by Jesse Kimmel-Freeman!  I was so excited, I cheered on facebook.  I should receive it in the mail within the next month (:  I'm so excited!!

When asked by a friend of mine what goodreads is, I told her it's a bibliophile's dream (:  You can keep track of the books you've read (and review/rate them, if you wish), as well as the books you want to read.  In addition to that, it allows you to connect with other people who read the same kinds of books that you do, for recommendations.  They also have a variety of giveaways that you can sign up for (and I won one!).  I haven't explored it yet, but it also appears that you can list books that you would like to own, as well as get rid of books that you no longer want.

I don't know how many books I read in a year.  But I've decided that I'm going to find out this year (:  The way goodreads keeps track of books should allow me to do that fairly easily.

I also received several wonderful recommendations and responses, one of which included the suggestion to join paperbackswap, an on-line source for trading books.  I wish I'd gotten in to it a month ago, as I took 3 bags of books to goodwill that I could have posted for swapping instead.  Now I'll have to wait, as I don't have any books to post right now.

Another suggestion was to join the on-line bookclub, From Left to Write.  I love that they don't review the books, what they do is post a blog inspired by having read the book.  I also love that you're not required to sign up for all of the books, only the ones that interest you and that you can commit to read and blog about.

It sounds right up my alley, so I've signed up for their first book of the year, Quiet:  The Power of Introverts, by Susan Cain.

Then I checked this morning and I won a second book through First Reader, for the book The Worker Prince by Bryan Thomas Schmidt!

In the course of setting up for all of this, I was also introduced to Netgalley.  I haven't really had a chance to explore them yet, but I look forward to seeing what they have to offer.

So now I have 10 days to read Quiet (:  Time to snuggle down with what I hope is going to be a good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!