Tuesday, January 31, 2012

On Hearing Heartbeats

I have to admit that The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker inspired more than a single post!

Part of the joy of being part of From Left to Write is getting to read other people's posts that were inspired by the book.

I just finished reading, "Tot"ful Tuesday.

It reminded me of when I was about 11.  At bed time, I would lie awake in the dark, listening to the quiet and focusing on my own pulse.  I could track it from my toes, over the soles of my feet and feel/hear it moving up my body, until finally, I focused on it as it moved into my ears.

It was never so loud as when I did this.

At that moment, I literally heard my own heartbeats and could hear nothing else beyond them.  It was as though I was in floating in a dark ocean with the waves of myself crashing gently over me.  It was as though I was a singular audience for my personal drummer.

It was one of those moments when I felt larger than the confines of my mortal body.

And many a night, perhaps even most, I fell asleep, lulled by that familiar and comforting rhythm.

That may be why I've been drawn to belly dancing and why I taught myself the doumbek.

It makes me wonder if, while lying still in the dark, I will still be able to hear my heartbeats...or if I have forgotten how to listen...


When Julia travels to Burma to search for her missing lawyer father, she discovers much more than she expected. Join From Left to Write on February 1 as we discuss The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker. As a member of From Left to Write, I received a copy of the book. All opinions are my own.


I highly recommend this amazing story. Visit the author's website and order a copy of your own!

2 comments:

  1. I wonder, too, if we all forget how to listen at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I had all sorts of magical tricks I was able to get my body to do when I was younger like this. I do wonder if any of them still survive today. It's been a long time since I've tried... but I think tonight as I try to fall asleep, I just might have to!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!