Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Thumb Wars

I've put off for three years taking Life Drawing.  Unlike most people, it's not the nude figures that bothered me. As I told a friend today when she joked, "You know there's going to be nude people, right?", "Yup.  I've seen nude people.  I've even -been- one!"  And we both laughed because really, if we think about it, we've -all- been nude at some point.

No, I've put it off for two different reasons.  The first being that it always happens late in the afternoon-- and I needed someone to be able to watch my boys for those hours.  Thankfully, -very- thankfully, for me, my mother in law is willing to do that.

The second reason is that I haven't drawn, -really- drawn, for direct observation since I took Drawing 1 and 2... in 1995.  And then, the biggest thing I ever heard from my drawing teacher was, "Nice.  Do it faster."

I'm still not a fast drawer.  So what it boils down to is that my second reason it outright fear and worry.  Yes, I know we've got over 2 hours for the class, but I worry that I'm not going to be fast enough.  I also worry that I'm going to be terribly off in my proportions.  I'm consoling myself with the fact that this class is meant to improve both of them (;

So what does any of that have to do with thumb wars?

Today, Mr. Everett got us started on our first assignment-- drawing our own hand.  While he was giving the demo, he mused that the only thing separating man from the beasts are our minds and our thumbs-- and if the mafia wants to take a finger, offer up the useless pinkie, because without that thumb, there are a couple of dolphins might win out on that mind thing.

He's a hoot (:

But it reminded me of all the cat comics you read that say the only reason cats don't rule the world is for lack of a thumb.  And it's not the first time I've heard that thumbs are what gave man an advantage that allowed us to climb to the top of the food chain.

And it amused me to envision it as one massive species vs. species thumb war--

"1-2-3-4, I declare a Thumb War!"

where man and primates came out on top because they were the only ones who brought the opposable thumb to the table (;

That said, I decided to take pictures of all of our hands once they went up on the board.



-Very- impressed (:  I have a talented bunch of class mates!

If you look closely, you can pinpoint mine out of all the others with a cursory glance.

Did you figure out how?

I'll show you mine, to give you a hint (;


Did you figure it out?


Yup.  All of my class mates are right handed!  I'm the only southpaw.  (;

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any talents in the visual arts, but this reminded me of an exercise an instructor gave in a writing class once - we were supposed to spend an hour staring at and writing our thumbnails! Same idea, I guess...
    And I'm a leftie, too :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!