Sunday, January 1, 2012

Uncle Kennard's Sweet Potato Pie

Happy New Year!

I decided to take on the creative every day challenge for 2012 (:


For this first day of the year, I'm making sweet potato pie for my husband's Uncle Kennard.  It's baking right now, so we'll see how they turn out, but I have high hopes. (:

It can't be any harder than making pumpkin pie from scratch.

I used this Recipe as my guide.

But I'll share how I modified it.

Sweet Potato Pie Recipe

Ingredients

2 large sweet potatoes
a stick of butter, softened
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 unbaked pie crusts

Directions

Peel the sweet potatoes.  (Don't bother trying to dice them-- these suckers are -tough-!)  Just cover them completely with water and boil them for an hour.

In the last half hour while the potatoes are cooking, let the pie crusts thaw and preheat the oven to 350.  Place the crusts in the pie pans, poke the bottoms and sides with a fork and prepare to bake them unfilled for 10 minutes-- it makes a tremendous difference in the taste of the pie, I promise (:

Run cold water over the sweet potatoes then break the potatoes apart in a large bowl. Add the butter, sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.  Use an electric mixer and beat until smooth.  Pour into the lightly baked pie crusts.



Bake at 350 for an hour or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.

And enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!