Monday, January 16, 2012

What Would You Like to Do Today?

Each night, I snuggle with my little boys.  We talk about their day, the ups and downs, make up stories, read stories, etc.  Well, since none of us had school today, I asked each of them what they wanted to do.

They decided we were going to start out the day making breakfast together.  So we did (:  Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, sliced red navel oranges, and hot cocoa/ coffee.  My 6 year old is getting very proficient at cracking eggs!  And my oldest is becoming a master microwave chef (;  (That's how we typically cook our bacon, since I hate being popped.)

After breakfast, I caught back up on my knitting practice, then sat down to paint with my boys, as that was the second wish on their to do list for today.

They wanted me to teach them about painting.  I decided we'd work on watercolor, so I taught them how to wet the dried paint.  I also had them draw their idea before they started painting.  And they each got to practice on mixing their own special colors.

My youngest, all set up to start (:

He's been working his way through Batman Arkham City, so he decided he wanted to make a bat.  But he didn't like the way the feet looked, so he decided they're curled up under the bat while it flies.

His finished piece.  He made the red and dark red/purple colors (:
My oldest, all set up to get started (:

One of his favorite shows lately is Sons of Guns.  So he decided to make a police officer shooting at a target on a range.

He mixed the skin color for his person and the blue for the pants (:
I decided to practice my water color and see if I could realize the Pay It Forward idea I have for my friend Hannah.


I decided to create a watercolor of the Parable of the Pear Tree.

The Parable of the Pear Tree

Once upon a time, long, long ago, a man had four sons.  He wished to teach them to judge things with careful consideration, and so he sent them each, one at time to view the pear tree.  His eldest, he sent in winter.  The next in spring.  The next in summer.  And the youngest in fall.

He then called his sons to him and asked them to share what they had observed.

His oldest spoke first, saying, "The tree was bear and twisted, dead and of little value."

His brother, who viewed it in spring responded, "You are wrong!  It was in the bloom of spring covered in sweet smelling flowers and fresh, new leaves!  It was a sweet, beautiful delight for both the eyes and nose."

The third brother argued, "You too are in error!  It was full of green leaves, not a bloom in sight.  It provided excellent shade from the heat of the sun!"

And the youngest brother said, "It was indeed full of leaves, but it also bore sweet, succulent fruit."

The father answered that they were -all- correct...but only for a single season of the tree's life.  "We should not judge things or people too quickly.  This would be a grievous error!  Giving up in winter would deprive you of the beauty of spring, the shade of summer and the fruit of fall."







No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!