Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dinner Porridge

I wanted to do something different than leftovers or quick fixes for dinner tonight, so I went with the crock pot.

In the fridge, I had the 1/2 of the red, yellow and orange bell peppers from fajitas on Sunday.  And the majority of a jar of tomato sauce from last Friday.  So the meal was begun with the idea of using these.

Dinner Porridge was actually meant to be called Mediterranean Sausage Rice.  But rice turns into porridge with enough water and time-- soooooo... Dinner Porridge it is!

One of the biggest plusses is that is smells and ends up tasting a lot like chili...even though there's no beans, ground beef, or, you know, chili powder.  We ate ours with spoons and crackers and the boys like it, so I'm calling it a success, even if it isn't what I thought it was going to be.

That all said, here's the recipe for Dinner Porridge

Ingredients

2 cups of rice
2 cans of chicken broth
2 large cajun pork sausages, removed from their casings and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cup of water
1 jar of tomato sauce

Directions

Toss it all into the crockpot, give it a good stir, and cover it.  Cook on low for 6 1/2 hours.   I anticipate that if I want to make Mediterranean Sausage Rice, I'll add 1 cup less water and cook it for 2 hours less (;

Stir it just before serving, as pretty much everything but the rice is going to be on top.

And enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!