Friday, February 17, 2012

Enjoying the Silly Moments

I love drizzly rainy days when I have to be out and about, but I don't have to be in a hurry.  To be honest, it's why I have an enormous golf umbrella in rainbow colors.

When I headed into class yesterday morning on my way to my first exam of the semester, I entered the building and started up the stairs and a professor coming down commented, "That sure is a brightly colored umbrella!  All the colors of a rainbow!"  And I said, "Thank you!" with a smile as I headed up.  It hadn't rained on the way to class.  But I knew it was coming and I tend to be prepared.

And it started to rain as I left.

I smiled like a little kid about to go play.

Except that I'm a grown up.

And was still about to go play (;

I stepped out of the building under the eave and unfurled my giant rainbow.  Placed it over my head to keep me dry and started my walk back across the length of campus.

Spinning my umbrella as I went.

I love watching the colors fly by.

I love stopping at puddles and reflective bits of sidewalk to watch the reflection of the colors spin by.

I giggled off and on the whole time.

I'd stop when other people got closer-- not because I was embarrassed-- but because I know a spinning umbrella throws water and they wouldn't enjoy getting wet.

When I got to the stairs, I had the entire side all to myself.  Foot traffic was low.

Have you ever hopped down stairs with a golf umbrella?  Each steps makes a funny and satisfying "humph-a!" sound.

"humph-a" (giggle)
"humph-a" (giggle)
"humph-a, humph-a, humph-a, humph-a, humph-a, humph-a, humph-a" (outright laugh)

When I got to the bottom, a young man in his late teens or early 20s scowled at me disapprovingly as he walked towards me.  I cleared my throat and watched him pass out of the corner of my eye with a barely contained smile on my lips holding back the next round of giggles.

So if you saw a spinning rainbow covering a whole lot of giggles in the rain on the way to or from class yesterday morning, it was me.

Or someone else who was also enjoying the silly moments (;

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!