Sunday, February 19, 2012

Happy Mardi Gras!

Or "I Decided to Make a King Cake".


One of the things I enjoyed most about my years in Lousiana is the food.  And Mardi Gras.  (More for the time off from school and the chance to enjoy more of the food than for anything else (;   )

Since I left, I've made a habit of making my favorite dishes.  For the last 5 years, I've been ordering my King Cakes from Louisana on-line and having them delivered.  But this year, I found a recipe I thought I'd try.

I mildly modified Holly Clegg's King Cake with Cream Cheese Cinnamon Filling

With as well as this turned out, I'm going to order her cookbook from the above link!

Here's the modified Recipe

Ingredients

2 cans full size crescent rolls
8 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat oven 350°F. Cover a 10-inch pizza pan with baking paper.
2. Separate crescent rolls at perforations. Place slices around prepared pan with points in center. About halfway down from points, press seams together.


3. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Spread on dough in center where seams have been pressed together.


4. In another small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over cream cheese. (I actually spread mine with a butter knife.  It never got 'crumbly'.)


 Fold dough points over filling,


 then fold bottom of triangle over points forming a circular roll like a king cake.


5. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly, drizzle with colored Mardi Gras Icing.

For the icing, I took a can of  Vanilla Flavored Butter cream and divided it into 3 bowls.  Then I used food coloring:  3 drops of yellow in one.  7 drops of green in the next.  6 drops of blue and 9 drops of red in the third.


Once the cake came out of the oven,


(I have to admit, I was -so- pleased with the way it looked!)

I warmed the frosting in the microwave, all 3 bowls for 40 seconds and half power, gave them a good stir, then drizzled them over the cake.


It's a -lot- cleaner looking once it completely cools and you take it off the baking paper (;  None of that overflow icing.

It turned of really good, but I think next year, I'll use less sugar, if not skip the brown sugar step all together-- it was a little overly sweet for my taste (though I've had plenty of bought king cakes that were as well.)  All in all, very pleased with the outcome (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!