Thursday, February 16, 2012

I'm Taking It Personally

When I heard last summer that Mississippi was passing laws to arrest women for murder-- for miscarriages and stillbirths, I was in total disbelief.

Today, there's been an entire rash of similar news-- things that make you ask, "How?!? How can this be REAL news? How can this be passing? What the hell is going on with our politics?!?"

Like Virginia working to pass required penetrative probes for abortion seekers.

Like Foster Friess suggesting that women should use aspirin between their knees as contraceptives.  Completely failing to take into account that contraception is about a whole lot more than not having sex.

Like not having a single woman on the witness panel for the House Contraception Hearing.  Not one.

If contraception is being used for medical reasons (like controlling endometriosis, cysts, abnormal periods, etc.) it should be made available.  I absolutely agree with that.

If it's the difference between not getting pregnant or having an abortion-- I can agree with that as well.

If it's about having the same sexual freedom as men without being required to start a family until you're ready, I can agree with that as well.

It's a medicine.  Of course it's for a medical reason.

It pisses me off because it's the assumption that the only reason women need contraception is because they're having sex--and so what if for some of them, it's true?  These people aren't saying -men- should stop having sex.  They're saying that women should accept pregnancy as a consequence of doing so.

And we're not just talking about who should pay for contraception.  We're also talking about if it's even available.  Watch that first link for Virginia all the way through.  They, and a couple of other states, as we speak are considering legislation that doesn't have anything to do with health care-- and everything to do with making birth control illegal.  I'm of the opinion that if a woman pays for her health insurance, she should be allowed access to birth control if she needs it.

I'm one of those women who pays her insurance-- and still pays $200 every year for a contraceptive because it isn't covered by my insurance.  My husband has had a vasectomy-- we're not even worried about getting pregnant.  We're worried about my bleeding out.  Last year, talking with my doctor, I had three other 'options' available to me: 1.  a hysterectomy.  At 34.  2. a medical procedure equivalent with microwaving my uterus... And not only is it a new enough procedure that they're not sure of the long term results and side effects, it has no guarantee of working.  or 3. doing nothing and hoping that when I pass out again with the next clot, I'll survive...and the next one...and the next one...all why trying to make the best of the iron deficit anemia.

I went with the non-invasive medicine.

These are decisions that will affect over half the population of America.

I'm taking it personally.  This matters to me.

I think it should matter to us all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!