Monday, February 20, 2012

Learning to Wait...Sort of



Could you live an entire year eating locally or the food from your garden? Barbara Kingsolver transplanted her family from the deserts of Arizona to the mountains of Virginia for their endeavor. Join From Left to Write on February 21 as we discuss Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. As a member of From Left to Write, I received a copy of the book. All opinions are my own. 

It's still winter in Alabama, even if the weather doesn't quite seem to know it.

What this means is that my local farmer's markets (and there are at least half a dozen of them!) won't open for another two months.

I can accept that I don't want to be a farmer.  But fortunately for me, I happen to live in the middle of farming country where there are plenty of other people willing and able, who love doing it.  And I can help us both by supporting them (once they open in April).

One of the biggest things I took from this book was the knowledge of Consumer Supported Agriculture-- CSAs.  It's where a local farmer offers paid 'shares' to the public, typically consisting of a weekly assortment of local produce for the duration of the season.

I thought they were only available to the big cities.  But we have one just north of us that will start accepting spring/summer applications in just a couple of months.  It, like most of the places I found locally through Local Harvest are organic.

And it turns out that we have a variety of other local producers:  God's Way Farms, a CSA for organic and heirloom meats, Boutwell Farms, another CSA for organic meats and vegetables, Sweetwater Pecan, for nuts and Horton Honey Farms, providing honey.  Though I'm much enjoying getting my organic honey from my local friend at Bev's Bees.

And I have to admit, I'm kind of excited to try the Ark of Taste Turkey.  According the Mrs. Kingsolver, I can place an order... starting in April (just like everything else!)


But that doesn't mean I have to wait until April before I can start making changes NOW:

Right after finishing this book two weeks ago, I decided to give up Wal-Mart and choose my local grocery store for my shopping.  Wal-Mart is so big, it won't miss me.  But I'm sure the local grocery store will appreciate the income.

They have a butcher in house with much better and fresher meats.  And an even bigger plus is that it turns out that they're already using some local and organic produce and meats.

And they also happen to be where my hometown farmer's market sets up...in April (;

3 comments:

  1. Janin-I's surprised that none of the farms have any winter crops. We even have a few farmers markets still active in Boston for the winter. You are so lucky to have the other sources nearby-especially honey. I'm a big fan of it in any way shape or form!
    Good luck-the growing season will be here before we know it!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have some great local options... even if you have to wait. I'm planning to do a CSA this year for the first time, too. I get a little caught up with all the options, though!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!