Monday, February 13, 2012

Mix-n-Match

I actually planned dinner tonight while driving home from school this morning.  It's the one on-top-of-things I was doing this morning.

I started my day with a 9 year old alarm clock-- because I'd apparently ignored my electronic one.  Fortunately, it was about 10 minutes to 7 so we still had plenty of time to get them ready to school (:

Well, apparently my whole, start my day an hour late thing, skipped my mind and I started my own day for school very late.  Let me say that finding parking at Troy is a very different experience if you show up 30 minutes before your class...versus if you show up -2- minutes before it.  Amazingly, I was NOT late to class (:

And I had tonight's dinner firmly in mind.

So I decided to make lima beans... from dried.  I've never made -any- beans from dried.  And I've never cared for lima beans.  But I'm trying to work around that.

So!  Tonight's dinner began with a game plan of lima beans.  And figuring out what to make with that.  That's where mix-n-match comes in.

I was thinking about the day Mom and I made pork chops.  I was also thinking about the absolutely fabulous onion rings.  So I figured I'd combine the two ideas.  Just follow the directions from the first link, but use the breading mix from the onion rings in the second link (:

And serve it all with rice.

The lima beans were delicious!

Lima Beans Janin (and her kids) Will Eat

Ingredients

1/2 lb of dried green lima beans
1 small onion, diced
1-2 tablespoons of minced garlic
4 slices of bacon

Directions:  Thoroughly rinse the lima beans.  Then put them in a pot with enough water to cover them plus 1 inch.  Bring it to a good boil, then cover and simmer on low.  When it's cooked for 40 minutes, cut the bacon into about 8 pieces each and lightly fry.  When it's cooked but not overly crispy, toss the bacon in with the lima beans.  Toss the diced onions and minced garlic in the bacon fat and sautee until the onions go clear.  Then toss the whole mess in with the lima beans.


I think these have also made it onto the 'regulars' list in my cooking repertoire (;

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!