Saturday, February 4, 2012

Oven Baked Skirt Steak Fajitas

While looking for future Pinterest recipes, I came across one that would be perfect for tonight's dinner, especially since I was making fajitas anyway.  But NOW, I'm making them in the oven (;

The original recipe is for chicken.  But I'm trying to use skirt steak for the first time.  My local grocery story has apparent stopped carrying meat already sliced for stir fry, so I asked the butcher if skirt steak would do (since it already LOOKS like it's supposed to be thin sliced)-- and he said it is, just follow the lines, and don't trim the fat from the meat or it will end up really, really dry.  Will do, kind sir (:

So here's my modified recipe:

Ingredients

2 packages of skirt steak, sliced as described above.
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

salt
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
parsley
paprika
(use amounts to your preferences)

1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
1 small can of diced green chilies
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 of a large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 of a large orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 of a large yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced

flour tortillas
Toppings-- cheese, sour cream, etc.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400.  Grease a 13x9 baking dish (I used a a bit of vegetable oil and a paper towel).  Put the onion, tomatoes, chilies, and peppers in the baking dish.



In a medium/small bowl, mix the oil and seasonings then put the meat in and gently mix it around with your hands to thoroughly coat the meat.


Add the meat to the baking dish, pouring the remaining oil and spices over the top, and gently mix it all together by hand.  (Yeah, I got that fork in the first picture to stir everything, but quickly realized it would be easier and more effective to do it by hand.)


Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.  Open the oven and stir it to make sure it's going to cook evenly, then bake it for another 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.


I may never make fajitas on the cook top again!

Serve in the tortillas with topping of choice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!