Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Taco Seasoning

So tonight's dinner started with a hunger for sour cream.  I figured I'd make beef stroganoff, so I started defrosting a lb of ground beef.

As I filled a pan with water, I realized that what I -really- wanted was a baked potato.

...But I was already thawing the beef AND I didn't want to wait an hour.

Then, I remembered that my mother in law makes baked potatoes in the oven and, lo and behold! my microwave has a baked potato setting! (Just stab each one all over with a fork so the steam can escape.)

Then I decided to go ahead and use the ground beef ...and thought, "Hey, how about putting -taco- meat on a potatoe?"

And so is born "Taco Potatoes".

...But I don't typically keep taco season in the house.... I -do- , however, have a pretty handy selection of spices.

Forever, I couldn't figure out what the spice was that was the difference between me trying to make tacos at home and using the packet at the store-- but last week, I was introduced to a new spice:  cumin.  THAT's it!

So, here's my at home taco seasoning:

Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Cumin
Paprika
Parsley
Salt and Pepper
--all to taste.

Mixed into the pan fried ground beef, onions and garlic and served over the baked potatoes with some shredded cheese and sour cream, it was absolutely delicious!

And both of my kids and I really enjoyed it (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!