Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Failure and Redemption in the Kitchen

Okay, so last night, I tried to make pan-fried scallops with peppers, bacon, onions and rice.  And when I put it in, it was looking pretty good!

...Except that the thawed bay scallops never pan fried.  They were supposed to go white and brown on the outside-- and they never stopped being pink/peach... I even started them out in hot bacon grease.  I cooked them for 20 minutes...and according to the directions, they -should- have been done at 7!

So the dogs enjoyed heated but otherwise not apparently thoroughly cooked scallops.  Sigh.

So tonight, I decided to  attempt to redeem myself.

I made baked Italian breaded chicken, corn casserole and garlic red skinned mashed potatoes.

I put the red skinned potatoes in a pan, covered with water and set to boil.  Once it did, I turned it down to medium and kept it up until the timer went off.

After I got the potatoes startered, I set the oven to 350 and pulled out a 9x9 baking dish for the corn casserole.

Corn Casserole

1 cup of frozen whole kernel corn
1 can of cream corn
1/3 cup bisquick
2/3 cup corn meal
1/3 cup of sugar
1 cup of sour cream
1 cup of margarine (slightly melted-- I popped it in the microwave in a bowl for 20 seconds)
about 1 tsp of salt, otherwise, salt to taste

Put them all in the baking dish and mix well.

Then I set that aside and prepared the chicken.

Baked Italian Breaded Chicken

6 chicken breasts
sour cream
Italian seasoned bread crumbs

Fix a cookie sheet or baking dish with some oil.  On a plate, set out all the chicken and 'paint' each piece on both sides with sour cream.  Put the bread crumbs in a gallon bag, and shake each piece of chicken in the bread crumbs until coated.  Put them in a single layer on the cookie sheet/ baking dish.

Place both the chicken and the corn casserole in the oven.

Set the timer for 30 minutes.  When it goes off, stir the corn casserole and turn the chicken over.  Put it back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes.

While that is baking, drain the potatoes and put them back in the pot.  Mash them, skins and all.  Add salt, pepper, garlic, and parsley to taste.  Then add enough milk and margarine to make them creamy when you stir them with a wooden spoon.

About the time you finish it, the food in the oven will be ready as well.

Serve and enjoy (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!