Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Making The First Scene Design Model

For Scene Design, we were given a basic floor plan with several blank elevations to decorate as we would, as an exercise in how models are put together, to practice using our architect rulers, and to practice converting floor plans into elevations.

My finished model project (:
We started with the basic floor plan, as ready made and provided to us.

2,3 and 4 of 4 included elevations for A,B. J, K. C, D, E. L, M, and a portion of N. F, H, I. And the Proscenium.  He intentionally left off O, P and the remainder of N so that we would get to practice creating our own elevations and problem solving.

Here's 4 of 4 to give you an idea of what we had to start with:

 Then we were allowed to decorate the blank walls however we wanted , as long as it was in 1/4" scale.  I started out in light pencil before going back over my design in pen.

Then we got to color them.  If you'll take a quick look up at the floor plan, there is very clearly a window in wall H, so we had to decide what it would look like.  If you look at my wall D, you can see I decided to create another window.  That will have to be reflected in my revised floor plan:

 What you see on this one is where I added my own walls for the remainder of N and walls O and P.

 I decided to fill it with a kitchen:

Close up of the Kitchen:

Close up of the library:

Close up of the Dining Room:

Close up of the remainder of the Dining Room and the other wall of the kitchen.  You can see faint trailer lines where I was doing my planning.  It's important to keep your initial lines faint.:

Close up on one wall of the Living Room:

And close up on the other wall.  This is where the arch will be in wall B:

The remainder of the Living Room:

The "back side" of N-- because it ends up being the inside of the kitchen.  What you can see here is where I've cut the door for the Dining Room from the "front".  I decided I wanted to display all of my doors partially ajar, but it's not required to actually cut them.:

The Kitchen:

Cutting all my pieces out:

And from the 'back':
 I cut the tabs and scored the edges of the walls to make folding them easier.
Starting to assemble them:

No glue at this point-- just making sure all the walls line up properly:

We also had to make tabs to hold up the 'free standing' walls.  As you can see, those unsupported walls are J, P, N, A, and I.  The piece labeled B is is support for the open arch in wall B.

Then I cut them them all out:

Back to the detail cutting and scoring with exacto knife to get them to 3D:

Then it was time for the gluing and pinning.  The pins help hold it in place while the Tacky Glue dries.  As an aside, Tacky Glue is -fantastic-!  15 seconds.  Seriously.

Moving on to the second wall:

The entire thing pinned in place:

Looking down on the set model from above:

And from the front:

Okay...more front:

Looking at the Library through the Living Room:

Looking through the Dining Room:

 And looking through the Dining Room at the Kitchen:

The impossible Kitchen (lol)  My husband said I should have colored it blue and called it the Tardis Kitchen, as it's larger on the inside than possible from the outside (;

And then it was time to prepare the proscenium arch:

I made another arch support, then cut everything out:

The whole thing from the back:

And the finished piece:

As an aside, while I was waiting for class, I looked down and discovered a to my tardis kitchen:

This kitchen amused me on several levels-- We've already discussed the first, but the second is that no one in the audience can actually see into this room.  My husband said (with a touch of sarcasm), "The people getting to build the set are going to -love- that."  (;  Fortunately, no one actually has to build it.

All in all, I have to say that I enjoyed making the first scene design model.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!